Labour Law & Hr Consultant

Cite.Co is a repository of information and resources created by industry seniors and experts sharing their real world insights. Join Network
Dear Friends,
I need your guidance for this issue, we have received rental receipts & rental agreement from one of our employee for claiming HRA from his Income Tax. He is paying the rent of Rs. 8000/- PM. But the rental agreement is in his Father's name.
Please suggest me whether can we consider this for Tax exemption ? if yes, do we need to take any documents further?
Thanks & Regards,

From India, Bengaluru
Dear Rajendra,
The employee's father may be living with him. However, since the rental agreement is in his father's name, the rental receipts should also be only in his name. Therefore it can only be presumed that it is his father who paid the rent not the employee. How can he claim tax rebate when he's not paid the rent. Strictly speaking the claim can not be accepted. Ask him to get a revised rental agreement and receipts in his name in future if he wants to avail tax rebate under this head.

From India, Salem
Thank you Mr. Umakanthan for the reply.
From India, Bengaluru
This discussion thread is closed. If you want to continue this discussion or have a follow up question, please post it on the network.
Add the url of this thread if you want to cite this discussion.

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2020 Cite.Co™