Geeta Motwani

Hello Team, We need to give a designation to one of our office boys (peon) who has been performing base level admin. Activities since two years like filing, record keeping, maintaining petty cash, cab booking etc. We need to do this without increasing the salary or unskilled grade.
Can you please advice a designation which we can give and which gives him a future career path also as he intends to study further also.
Geeta Motwani

From India, Delhi
Labour Consultant
Aniket Pathak
Sr. Executive Hr
Human Resources
Geeta Motwani
Administration Manager - Hr Dept.
+1 Other


Office assistant / Admin Assistant is worth considering.
From India, New Delhi

The activities you mention when clubbed point that the role is that of Admin Assistant; this is definitely not unskilled profile. You will have to consider him at highest skill level as per state skill hierarchy as he is maintaining petty cash besides performing 2-3 more activities. Whether you like it or not, if don't pay wages meant for highest skill level, you will continue to deprive minimum wages payment to him / her. Non payment of minimum wages as per skill level is frowned upon by all, including courts. Need to be careful there.
From India, Mumbai

Dear Madam,
I share same views that of Mr.Shrikant's. When someone is doing multi-tasking jobs , to think of denying him due wages and skill level that too by HR person is against the sense of propriety and legality.
Vinayak Nagarkar
HR - Consultant

From India, Mumbai
Aniket Pathak

You can use office assistant or helper.
From India, Pune

Dear Geeta,
Your Management has been doing injustice to the poor employee by utilising his knowledge and asking him to do clerical job for last 2 years. Instead of appreciating and or motivating him by compensating the clerical MW, the management is paying him un-skilled category wages.
Now suddenly you felt to seek advise from the members after 2 years about the designation is only to safeguard your company from legal consequences.
You can propose Assistant designation by compensating Semi-skilled wages which will help him for his further studies and he will remain loyal to your organisation as long as he serves.
Excuse me for my views and if hurt anyone's feelings.

From India, Thane
Geeta Motwani

Hi All
Thank you for the advise however I will like to add that our management has fully supported the person and guided him to complete his education so that we can logically give him what he deserves. Post following your responses we have initiated the next course of action. He has just completed his 10th Class. We are now making efforts to get his 12th done also.
All of you have been a great help. Thanks a lot !!

From India, Delhi

If the Management is Positive and supporting the employee hence suggest you go for " ASSOCIATE - ADMN" instead of Helper / un / Semi / Highly worker , once he acquires required qualification you can change his designation to Officer / Executive etc.,

From India, Hyderabad

Dear Geeta,
This is a matter of appreciation that you recognised one's skill and want to promote. Always try to give a position that can match with the present qualifiaction and job. Since the concerned is an HSC pass, the designation of 'office attendant' would be appropriate and fall under USK category.

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2023 CiteHR

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.