Partner - Risk Management
JAgdis L Trivedi
Senior General Manager H R Unison Pharmaceuticals
Private Consultant On Labour Laws
Educator, Management Consultant & Trainer
+1 Other


It is proposed to amend Payment of Wages Act 1932 providing for payment of wages by cheque or by crediting amount to bank account. Pl refer attachment for draft amendment.
3rd December 2016 From India, Malappuram

Attached Files
Membership is required for download. Create An Account First
File Type: pdf Payment of Wages Act to be amended.pdf (312.5 KB, 740 views)

Dear Mr. PC Agrawal,
Congrats for your unstinting supports , search and self update.!!!
Many Many many thanks for your efforts , eagerness and looking forward to serving through post ;Cite HRMembers all events, govt. notifications, news and updates Garma Garam !!!
Keep it UP!!!
RDS Yadav
Navtarang HR Services
and Director,
Future Instt. of Management and Technology

3rd December 2016 From India, Delhi
Respected Agarwal ji,
Thanks for sharing the proposed notification on the amendment of Payment of Wages Act, 1936.
Members are requested to send their objections or suggestions, if any, to the Secretary, Ministry of Labour
and Employment, Shram Shakti Bhawan, Rafi Marg, New Delhi-110001 by December 16, 2016.
BS Kalsi,
Member since August, 2011
3rd December 2016 From India, Mumbai
This is a good move
Maharashtra has made this amendment to the act almost 6 years ago.
But they should also make consequent changes so that signing every page of the contractors payroll register with the words - paid before me, can stop
4th December 2016 From India, Mumbai
Dear Mr. PC Agrawal, Many Many many thanks for your efforts always sharing information on Cite H R like notifications, news and latest updates. Regards J L Trivedi
4th December 2016 From India, Ahmadabad
In the light draft notification of December 2, 2016, Ordinance has been issued on December 29, 2016, but there is wording " Provided that the appropriate govt. may by notification in the official Gazette specify the industrial or other establishments, the employer of which pay to every person in such establishment the wages only by cheque or wages credited in his bank account." has a different meaning. Is this is for the option for the State Govt. to make amendment.
6th January 2017 From India, Chandigarh
Yes, each state government can make, but the central government may also make it for the entire country
7th January 2017 From India, Mumbai
Thanks Mr Banerjee: Would you please clarify that ordinance dated December 29 would be applicable on entire country or we should wait for the amendment by the state Govt?
7th January 2017 From India, Chandigarh
I was hopeing some senior or lawyer on the forum will clarify. My question is the same - can the Center pass a notification for the entire country when it's a state subject ? I guess we need to wait for the center to actually pass such a notification
8th January 2017 From India, Mumbai
Mr P.C. Aggarwal has started this thread. He is a legal person. I think he should clarify that this amendment is applicable for entire India or states would have to issue separate notification in this regards.
9th January 2017 From India, Chandigarh
Dear Saswata Banerjee,
Though the Payment of Wages Act, 1936 is a Central Act and Central Govt. could have easily made a general provision asking the employers to pay the wages either by cheque or by crediting the wages in their employees' bank accounts, but it has been left to the State examine the feasibility, convenience and other allied factors and issue notification for the Industrial establishments under their jurisdiction accordingly.
BS Kalsi,
Member Since August, 2011
9th January 2017 From India, Mumbai
Dear all,
Appropriate Govt under Minimum wages Act is " State Govt". The Act has delegated power under MW Act to State Govt to notify wage revision , define categories , ENSURE ITS DIRECTIONS, resolve matters of disputes etc and administer its execution within own State at local levels.Therefore, Central Govt can not usurp state Govt's right in arbitrary manners for some thing and leave few things for State Governments. It goes logical and is in accordance with the law of jurisprudence that Centre in said amendment gave this as option to State Governments either to make rules for cash or through cheque payments .
RDS Yadav
12th January 2017 From India, Delhi
Add Reply Start A New Discussion

Cite.Co - is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors. Register Here and help by adding your inputs to this topic/query page.
Prime Sponsor: TALENTEDGE - Certification Courses for career growth from top institutes like IIM / XLRI direct to device (online digital learning)

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2019 Cite.Co™