Dinesh Divekar
Business Mentor, Consultant And Trainer
Legal Analyst, Hrm
+2 Others

My Name is Naved
I am Working with a retail pvt ltd company for their Microsoft Priority showroom as a Retail Store Manager for Mobile sales, Mobile Company is winding up their business and my company is going to start with another brand but not accepting me in the new Mobile brand. they are transferring me for their Sports product band and offering me Supervisor position which is lesser than a Store Manager. I am totally fed up because nature of my work would be change & i will loose my designation which i earn in these 5 years.
What should i do ? Please suggest

From India, Noida
Dear Naved,

"Degradation through Transfer" is called as "Demotion". It is unfortunate that your company had to close their business operations. These things do happen because of quirk of fate.

Nevertheless, there is silver lining. Your company has offered you alternate employment. They could have removed you from the job but they have done it. Now you have two options. One is to accept whatever is offered to you. Another is to quit the employment. Therefore, you may do the Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) and choose the right option.

Quitting the job would mean protecting the designation. But it will also bring career in its wake and it could pose problem for you. Secondly, what is the guarantee that you will get manager's job easily?

Continuing the employment with demotion would mean continuity in employment however, while looking for the next job it could create problem as you will find it difficult to explain causes of your demotion. What is the guarantee that the future employer will take at its face value whatever you say?


Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
I agree with dinesh.
Also u will learn abt sports business as well.
U cannot be made a store manager of sports division without any exp.
Therefore gain some good 3 yrs minimum experience as a supervisor and then u will hv 2 options as well for future
Mobile and sports.

From India, Mumbai
Very rightly advised by Shri Dinesh Divekar. Otherwise, you don't have any rightful claim of a job in the new company if the existing company sacks you on winding up.
However, the present offer can perhaps be to avoid payment of compensation for retrenchment or severance allowance on winding up their business.

From India, Delhi
Dear all, I agree with Dinesh Divekar. Already I pass the same situation. Thanks, M.Gautam
From India , Mumbai
My designation is a result of my 5 Years of tenure with hard work on less salary. the other part of my problem is they are starting Mobile business with another brand but not ready to accept me there and not ready to tell me the reason. as per the situation they are showing that they are trying to save my Job which is not true. it is a voluntary act by the company as a force to resign. Why they are not offering me the retrenchment option so i can get some compensation and can find another suitable job.
Can i ask for retrenchment by my self ?

From India, Noida
Dear Naved Ali,
If alternative appointment option is given, you can't force the company for your retrenchment. Event of retrenchment rests always at employer's choice, not employee's choice, as that is subject to offer of no alternative appointment. In fact the employer has chosen a safe way of getting rid of employees.

From India, Delhi
This discussion thread is closed. If you want to continue this discussion or have a follow up question, please post it on the network.
Add the url of this thread if you want to cite this discussion.

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2021 Cite.Co™