My office consist of about 12 employees which include 2 female staffs.This employees are very senior in terms of their age and designation.Many of them are HOD's and we work on Saturdays.I wanted to conduct some employee engagement activities for them specially on Saturdays to keep them engaged.Also some activities on Monday to avoid Monday blues.Our business is into manufacturing but the plant is located in a separate state so the office consist of higher management staff only.
Due to the small number of staff, age and seniority I am not able to design a right employee engagement activity for them.Also I face challenges like due to their age and seniority they may be not able to participate in games or cannot do activities that take long time.Hence I request the seniors here to share with me some ideas.
From India, Mumbai
PROFESSIONALS AND BUSINESSES PARTICIPATING IN DISCUSSION
Business Mentor, Consultant And Trainer
Founder & Director, V K Dynamic Leadership
Dinesh DivekarDear friend,
You say that all the employees are seniors and HODs. Seniors are expected to be engaged to the organisation. It is they who supposed to be role model to their juniors. They are responsible to maintain motivation level of their subordinates.
Now my questions is do you have evidence that shows that they are mentally disengaged or you would like to do the engagement activities for the sake of it? I ask this question because if seniors require engagement activities in order to maintain their motivation level then either they are unfit to be seniors/HODs or something is fundamentally wrong with the organisation structure.
No training manager worth of his/her salt could measure ROI on the (so called) employee engagement activities. Therefore, my concern is that their previous time should not go futile.
Seniors or HODs are expected to understand organisation's strategy. Based on the business strategy, they are expected to devise strategy for their function like procurement strategy, production strategy, HR strategy. These strategic activities are expected to motivate them. Going further seniors or HODs are expected to interpret organisation's vision, mission and values of the organisation and make these understand to their juniors. This is the essence of their work is. I doubt to achieve this essence they would need engagement activities at all!
From India, Bangalore
@innov8.workDear Guidance seeker,
As you said that you have majorly senior employees working in your company, you can arrange some of the employee engagement activities in your organisation keeping in mind their age.these activities helps in relieving stress and would boost their productivity.Here are some activities which you can arrange if you like:
1) Align the employees in a row parallel to each other and name them row 1 and 2. Then turn aside one row and let the other row make changes among themselves and then say the second row to notice the differences among them. whoever row notices more number of differences is the winner.
2) Short Cricket or badminton match between them.
3) Dumb sarage can be played on old movies.
4) Say to make a circle. Now pass a whole roll of tissue paper to all the employees as per they are sitting and then say them to keep as much tissue paper as they think they would require. Till now you need not to tell them what is the game. when they are done with tearing the tissue paper and having it with them, tell them to write 10 things about them and say them aloud in front of all employees.In this way everyone would get to know about each employee.
5) Role play in a group of 3-4 employees can be done on topics like launch of a new deo, social topics like saving water, saving a girl child, planting trees, busy life, smoking etc.
Hope you will find them good to be organised at your company.
From India, Faridabad
Dinesh DivekarDear Swati,
You have given list of the activities that supposed to engage the employees. Nevertheless, have you tried these on group of HOD or top management professionals? The query is for engagement activities for top management. I am sceptical of the above activities for HODs. For a no-nonsense task-master, the activities may frustrate. Activities cannot be used even for IITians or IIMs. Therefore, you may share your experience of the usage of activities for the top management.
From India, Bangalore
AnonymousHi Everyone ,
Trust you are doing great. I am working as an Assistant Manger - HR in global recruitment staffing industry. Can any one help me out giving ideas for Employee Engagement & fun activities on floor .
We done with almost everything but need some innovative thinking. Appreciate if you can help me out .
From India, Hyderabad
In employee Engagement, pl do some thing for their carrier growth, development and welfare for them and their family members, like job security, medical, Education and work- life- balance activities etc.
From India, Delhi