Hi there, hope everything is fine. I applied for a job in a manufacturing company and luckily I was hired. The human resource department provided me list of all the requirements, they also told me to pass my original documents. When I already complied everything, I was hesitant to give my original documents for some reason perhaps they might loss or misplace it yet they left me with no other choice cause according to them that is there policy. When I already started working I was really frustrated because the job that I thought I should be working with was not the one they promised. I decided to leave the company after a week since I was hired. Now its been exactly 3 weeks since I left and asking them to give back my documents cause I need it to apply for another job, but I didn't received a single respond on their end. What action should I do for them to give it back to?. Is it also legal wherein a company is keeping his/her employees original documents?. Looking forward for your help. Thank you.
3rd April 2016 From Philippines,
It is not legal to keep original documents of employee with company. They have kept your educational certificates,precisely to avoid easy exit. Ask for your documents in writing and see reaction.
3rd April 2016 From India, Pune
you mean i will send them a letter and see their reaction? its quite the same thing as sending them a text message and waiting for nothing. Hope I get you correctly.
3rd April 2016 From Philippines,
Giving them a written request to return your documents will be a proof of them being informed about your demand.
In case it goes into a legal issue,you have proof of asking for educational documents back.
The company is aware that retaining such documents is wrong and written demands leaves behind a documentary trail which they will want to avoid.
Text message etc has limited effect-after all it can be deleted from recipients phone.
3rd April 2016 From India, Pune
Td add to Nathrao's very useful suggestion , either hand deliver your letter and obtain a receipt (which in all probability they will not give) or send the letter through registered post A/D.If they refuse then it shall be on record.
4th April 2016 From India, New Delhi
Nathrao is correct. Make all the correspoondence in writing and send them through registered A/D. Employers have no right to keep the original certificates of employees under their custody. Being an illegal act, employers will be scary of getting letters through registered post as they know those letters will be building blocks for any future legal battle. All the best!
4th April 2016 From India, Bangalore
Why are you using capital letter for each word? I think you must take up an English course in institutions like British Council, Bharthiya Vidya Bhavan etc... before applying for any job. Srinivasulu Bhattaram
4th April 2016 From India, Chennai
A big thank you to all of you. I followed your advice I sent a letter to the company about my concern stating some legal matters. I few hours later, someone called me from the HR deparment to come and get my documents. Again thank you so much guix.
5th April 2016 From Philippines,
Add Reply Start A New Discussion

Cite.Co - is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors. Register Here and help by adding your inputs to this topic/query page.
Prime Sponsor: TALENTEDGE - Certification Courses for career growth from top institutes like IIM / XLRI direct to device (online digital learning)

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2019 Cite.Co™