If I may put my idea of a career path/planning for the sales force forward I would say it should not be radically different from the general pool of staff.
However some basic things has to be emphasised for instance but not limited to the following;
1. Qualification of Individual Employee in the Team
2. Number of Years Spent in the Company
3. Level of Productivity-Sales Target Achievement
4. How Effective as a Team Player-Appraisal Issue
5. How Proactive In the Market Place-SWOT Analysis
6. Level of Inventory/Stock Control and Management
7. Ability to Improve Self on the Job
In addition it should be noted that for this kind of team, Management should always find ways of motivating them when Sales Targets are met and even superceded by the way of Sales Commission, Product Harpers etal.
Hope these tips would initiate some policy formation for you and your Company in general.
Cheers my friend.
6th September 2004 From Nigeria, Lagos
i am a new member in the forum.
i have read ur post pretty late but then better late than never. may be u have already done this activity that u were planning.
anyways what i wanted u to know was that the SSI i.e. sales strategy index is a very useful method of conducting the career planning activity
6th June 2005 From India, Mumbai