The fact that you have been recruited surely indicates that you have a role to play in the scheme of things that the company is planning. However,since the company is yet to get into the operational business, as on date you are perceived as having little or no work.
In fact this is a rare opportunity for you to prepare well for your role and impress your management as to how diligent you are, the leadership qualities you posses and your strategic thinking skills. With this objective in mind you can attempt the following
- Read up and make notes on the HR systems that other competitors have developed and how you can implement / improve the same
- Plan out templates for various requirements eg.recruitment / appraisals / appointment letters
- If your home depot is part of an existing set up try and learn about the existing systems
- Read and make notes on the recent trends in HR as also the trends specific to your industry
- Use this time to prepare questions so as to clarify doubts and get a better understanding of your role and responsibilities
- This is also a good time to outline for yourself the role you have to play in the organization, prepare your own job description and key result areas and get the same approved by your superiors
Of course taking a cue from the above do use your imagination to utilize your time productively to demonstrate to your management your seriousness about your job, your interest and aptitude for the role and how valuable you will be to the organization.
From India, Mumbai
IronickThank you so much. I appreciate your response. This is a big help for me as a starter. I just hope everything you said are applicable to my company.
Another issue is, the company doesn't feel the need of an HR alone. What they really want is an all-rounder. They always say that there's nothing much to do with HR. They want me to count, deal with stocks and even lifting and putting stocks in the shelves etc... That is why, If I want to read and take notes about HR systems, I can only do it at home. I just wish I can do everything you said in your post.
From Suriname, Paramaribo
A Home Depot is a very big store where goods are purchased and stored in bulk and sold at a reasonable rate to customers. It is good that you have been told to count, measure, handle materials etc and assist people in the formation of store. Your HR work has already begun without your knowledge. Since you do not have any exposure in HR, begin in right earnest immediately. It will be a twin learning process of HR and Materials.
Have cordial relations with your peers and superiors. Learn from their experience and improve yourself. As Mr Jacob has nicely put it begin systematically. When you are beginning your career or joining a new department some extra time is required to get some insight.
Right now your vendors must be coming to Home Depot. Establish a good network with them. Later Customers would come to Home Depot.
A lot to learn and all you have to do is to begin.