Thread Started by #Anonymous


I have interviewed for a reputed company (cash-rich) which had Phone Screening, Personality tests, Cognitive Ability Tests, one interview with Senior Manager, One Interview with Group Manager, and a Panel Discussion with 3 members in leadership (One Group Manager, One Director and One VP). All, and truly all, interviewers were extremely impressed with my skills, qualities, achievements, qualifications and experience. The Director (in the panel interview) went to the extent to mention the following two things:

1. "I was going through your "Areas of Expertise" in the resume and after interacting with you, I think there are even more areas of expertise that you possess.

2 The last statement that he made was "All I can say is that we are lucky to get you" (I am not employed and was searching for a long time, and this topic was discussed).

Now, the HR representative immediately calls me the next day at 9 am to tell me that the feedback was good, and what were my expectations. Although, I told her my previous salary, I wanted them to make me an offer before I mention any particular figure because I know that I have a significant leverage based on my experience and interview performance. She called twice and tried to get that information but I did not budge and she said she will get back. Also, previously she mentioned that it takes a lot of costs and efforts to get the interviews done (they had flown me in and out of Bangalore), so I think she wanted to ensure that I dont back out.

Now, its two days after the call and there is no communication yet from the HR.

There can be a few possibilities which I can think of:

1. Taking time for approvals etc to create the offer letter.

2. Are interviewing other candidates.

3. Are deciding what compensation to provide (I dont think they will risk low-balling)

4. Probably busy with other things (the interviews and all happened within a week, so the HR was quick to respond to previous communciation)

5. Playing the waiting game to elicit a response and then take advantage of eagerness.

Now, the question is, what should I do? Although the company, position and teammates are great, I do not want to sound eager by communicating early but I want to reiterate that I am absolutely interested.

How much time should I wait before initiating conversation? Are they checking/testing my interest in the company. Going by the fact that the HR representative played coy by trying to force me to cough up a lower figure, I am not sure how to respond. Although I am completely convinced that the VP and other senior management wants me in. And I feel the discussion of salary has not yet started. So, would they back out and risk losing me without even trying and with all the costs they have incurred till now.

Please help.


11th November 2014 From India, Mumbai
To begin with, the speed at which interviews are taken , offer letters don't match that. I assume you know than better than anyone of us around.
If they are interviewing others, it should act on your advantage. Given the point that you had made such an impact.
If you have done the right things about quoting a salary. If the sum is than their budget, give them time to work around.
A suggestion, treat interviews not merely to land a role, but to network as well. Create long lasting relationships through these interactions. Connect with the VP and others through LinkedIn and send a customary thank you mail. If they respond , request for a feedback or just send few interesting articles on the areas they had discussed with you.
Whether you accept the job offer or not, aim to stay connected with all the leaders you interacted in there.
When they offer you the role by this weekend or in sometime, keep us posted .
Wish you all the best!
11th November 2014 From India, Mumbai
Thanks (Cite Contribution).
One clarification. I have not quoted my salary expectations. I quoted my previous salary. And based on my experience and interview performance, I do not want my new salary to be defined by older salary.
Also, wanted to check if I have the right to not mention my salary expectations before I am provided an offer from the company? What if they say we cannot proceed unless you give us your salary expectations?
Thanks again,
11th November 2014 From India, Mumbai
Hello All,

The HR did come back two days back to convince me to give the salary expectations which I gave but the HR had promised to come back that evening and has called back in the last two days. The figure that I quoted was a bit large but within acceptable limits (according to me and my insider research who gave me an approximate range) because I didnot want them to lowball me. The HR did not react wildly or shocked by my expectations but said she will talk to business and come back. She has not got back for 2 days.

Now, I expect them to come back and atleast say that the figure is either too much or make me a counter offer. But I am also afraid that they wont return back and leave the negotiating table.

Is that possible? Would companies abruptly leave negotiating table if they have liked the candidate so much. I asked them to give me a range so that I can check if my expectations like in their range. But they forced me to give my number which I had to increase because of the fear that they might lowball me.

I have not attempted to call them because I do not want to feel very eager and lose the leverage. How long should I wait? She mentioned that you mention your expectations and we would see if we can work around those if I gave the expectations.

Please help.


14th November 2014 From India, Mumbai
Reply (Add What You Know) Start New Discussion

Cite.Co - is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors. Register Here and help by adding your inputs to this topic/query page.
Prime Sponsor: TALENTEDGE - Certification Courses for career growth from top institutes like IIM / XLRI direct to device (online digital learning)

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2019 Cite.Co™