PROFESSIONALS AND BUSINESSES PARTICIPATING IN DISCUSSION
Learning & Teaching Fellow (retired)
Use factoHR and automate your HR processes
Mobile-first hire to retire HR and Payroll software that automates all HR operations and works as a catalysts for your organisational growth.
ravi555470:20:10 Model in Managing Innovation
The 70:20:10 Model in Managing Innovation is a business resource management model that was pioneered in 2005 by Eric Schmidt, ex-CEO of Google Inc, and is being practiced at Google ever since. It emphasizes the proportion of time that employees should spend on different activities, as given below:
• 70% on core business tasks
• 20% on projects related to core business
• 10% on projects unrelated to core business
This model signifies the need to redefine the (traditional) outlook towards business resource management. It encourages creativity, innovation, and experimentation within organizations, thus making them successful in today’s highly competitive world.
PREPARING YOUR ORGANIZATION FOR THE 70:20:10 L&D MODEL
As per the 70:20:10 Model in Learning & Development:
• 70% of organizational learning comes from workplace (on-the-job) learning
• 20% of organizational learning comes from social learning (feedback & coaching by managers)
• And, only 10% of organizational learning is derived from traditional training (in house, outsourced or e-Learning) that is structured and planned
Despite knowing about these statistics, many organizations spend their training time, effort, and budget in inverse proportion! Below are a few interesting observations (derived from various research reports):
• Most of the L&D department’s time, effort, and budget (around 80%) is devoted to enabling traditional training. However, only around 10% time, effort, and budget is devoted to enabling social learning, and another 10% is spent on workplace learning.
• Most L&D professionals possess high levels of skills around the traditional training area. However, they possess significantly low levels of skills around the informal or social learning areas.
It is very surprising to observe the disproportionate allocation of L&D efforts that organizations make to empower their workforce. It is also alarming to look at the skill gaps of the learning professionals in the context of implementing the 70:20:10 Model. These disparities signify the need for a major re-look at the roles and activities that revolve around L&D activities for the successful implementation of the 70:20:10 Model in organizations. In this context, below are a few guidelines that will help you to prepare your organization for the 70:20:10 Model:
• Accepting the facts and committing to the “informal learning first” mindset is the first step. Adopt the 70:20:10 Model as your organization’s learning strategy. Drive the message on the benefits that this strategy could bring in to the training effectiveness (and the Return-on-Investment [ROI]) amongst all stakeholders.
• Relook at the budget allocations for your organizational training programs. Align the budget to the proportions derived from the 70:20:10 Model by focusing more on workplace and social learning. The ideal proportions for your training budget allocations should be: 10% for formal trainings, 20% for ‘social learning’ (including informal coaching and mentoring), and 70% for ‘workplace learning’ and ‘performance support’.
• Get your L&D professionals trained to master the new skills (revolving around the workplace learning and social learning areas) that are paramount for the implementation of the 70:20:10 Model.
• Empower your L&D professionals to adopt technologies and tools that are available today (and evolving continuously) to facilitate and track informal learning in the workplace. These include, but not limited to, Performance Support Systems (PSS) and Knowledge Management Systems (KMS) apart from the other social media platforms and applications.
• Check for success stories of organizations that have already reaped the benefits of the 70:20:10 Model. Research on the best practices related to the implementation. Share your concerns and challenges with others in your organization, as well as with the community and the industry.
Implementation of the 70:20:10 Model will revolutionize your organization’s learning culture by helping build a culture of ‘continuous learning’, with your managers as ‘enablers of learning’. Most importantly, it will help reduce your training costs, but accelerate organizational performance.
From India, Mumbai
minuuu4thanx a lot sir..but can you help me in forming a questionnaire...
From India, Pune
Please give more information about your background and the organisation where you will administer the questionnaire and why, etc.
In the meanwhile please read and digest the article at The 70:20:10 L&D Model for Developing a High-Performing Workforce | Learnnovators - Bringing INNOVATION to E-LEARNING which clearly explains the concept of 70:20:10 and its application to innovation as well as learning and development.
From United Kingdom
minuuu4I am a project trainee pursuing my mba... i need to research about its implementation.. i need to know about some organization who implements this model...
From India, Pune