The MD's PA is the Personal Assistant to the MD. He or she is there to assist the MD in his day to day work; like :
- making calls and connecting to persons that the MD may like to speak to
- receiving calls on his phone and letting the person talk to the MD if the MD so desires
- noting and reminding him of his daily appointment and schedules
- arranging journey tickets, hotel bookings etc. for him
- any other work that may be assigned.
The idea is that the MD should not waste his time on routine and mundane tasks
The qualification for PA can be 10+, good typing speed, computer proficiency.
They ARE NOT experts in Management, Sales & Marketing or Production. they are NOT TECHNICAL persons.
Managers who are professionals with engineering or management degrees are NOT REQUIRED to report to them.
The above views apply to all govt. and blue-chip companies anywhere in the world.
HOWEVER, a small company indulging in the Owner/proprietorship culture, CAN DISPENSE WITH ANY SUCH POLICY OR PRACTICE.
They are free to run their company in any UNPROFESSIONAL manner.
In fact, these kind of practices are what DISTINGUISHES a good and big companies from those who simply MANAGE TO GET THEIR small business REGISTERED as Companies and enjoy the feeling of being called MD or Director; and for doing so, no educational qualification are necessary or prescribed by Law.
19th April 2014 From India, Delhi