How To Close The Personal File Of A Deceased Employee? - CiteHR
Process Industry Consultant / Soft Skill
Assistant Manager - Hr
+2 Others

Cite.Co is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors sharing their experience and insights.
Join Us and help by adding your inputs. Contributions From Other Members Follow Below...
An employee who resigns will undergo Exit interview and exit processes, which will be filed in his/her personal file.
In case, if the employee dies during his/her employment, how to close the employee's personal file?

Dear Padma Priya,

The procedure of exit interview and exit processes could be bounded to an employee who is working the in the organization, and it report may be filed in the personnel file to close the file.

But, when an employee is deceased, then how this procedure could be executed. In this case, first question arise that where the employee was died and how. This question is very important, because the benefits to the nominee of that deceased employee will be paid on its basis only.

If the employee died inside the organization premises due to any accident, then accordingly accident report should be filed in the personnel file. If the employee was died outside the organization premises and related reports should be filed in the personnel file. If the employee was died at his home, then his family should submit an application to the management including the information about the death along with the death certificate.

On the basis of the situation, you have to firstly prepare all the legal benefits of the deceased employee and duly paid to the nominee of the deceased employee, after due confirmation. After filing the relevant report according to case, and with the settlement paper duly received by the deceased employee's nominee should be file in the personnel file and accordingly it will be close.

Hope this is will help you.

It is well defined by Bhuwan that we need to understand when & where the Employee died ,has he died during office hours & has he died at office premises or on duty (he may be out of office for Travel), once this is cleared than we should take action accordingly.
I strongly believe that the nominee of the deceased will be entittled to all the benefits like Gratutity, PF, Insurance Claims, compensation from Company etc.
Dinesh Kumar Khosla
Program manager
Program Management Practices (PMO) <link updated to site home> ( Search On Cite | Search On Google )

I do not know think there is any hard and fast rule/custom/ practice followed in the industrial sector for closing the file of a deceased employee whether the death is natural or due to an accident arising out of employment.You need to ask one question to yourself- whether all dues and issues were settled in respect of the deceased employee.If the reply is "YES' , then you can close the file with appropriate remark on the front cover of the file as " Employee died - Terminal benefits settled by ...(date)......" You can similarly make a remark in the register of (live) files, if any maintained by you against his name or even cancel/remove his name from it and make an entry in the list of closed files, if any maintained by you, If you have to send a closed file to a record room, record those details like the date of sending the file to the record room and date of acknowledgement by the In-Charge of the record room Even the closed file shall held in safe custody soa s to anser any disputes that may arise subsequently.This will enable you to avoid cluttering of live files with closed files.

.If the reply to the question is " No-matters pending", then the file shall remain open till all the issues relating to the deceased employee stand settled. Till then, all the papers relating to the deceased employee shall be filed in the personal file..To be on safe side, you can file an extra copy of the all correspondence relating to his death and settlement of dues in a master file if you so desire for nay immediate reference, if his legal heirs seek any clarification.

This is only a suggested procedure. You can follow what suits your company's policy.


Dear Padmapriya,

If it is a natural death out of office hours not arising in the course or out of employment then obtain a death certificate original from the his legal heirs, obtain a legal heir certificate furnished by the government authorities from his legal heirs. Settle his PF, EDLI, Gratuity claims based on the Nomination forms submitted under EPF act and Gratuity,

If the nominees are not mentioned in the PF/ Gratuity, settle the claim to the legal heirs. This is because in many instances the employees nominate their parents when they are single and do not submit a fresh nomination after they get married.

Also obtain an indemnity bond from the legal heirs that the settlements are being made on the basis of the legal heir certificate and in the event of any claim from any other person, the person who has received the settlement will indemnify the company.

If it is a natural death, while he was working, ascertain whether the death arose in the course and out of employment. If it was due to the employment, if the employee is covered under ESI intimate the ESI authorities, if he is out of the purview of ESI, then check his compensation under the Workmen compensation act and settle the dues to the legal heirs.

In the event you have any ambiguity on the legal heir status then deposit it with the WC commissioner.

Settle the full and final settlement including bonus payable if any to the legal heirs

If the employee was covered under Personal Accident Policy, then settle the claim to the legal heirs. Please note Personal Accident cover is 24 hours worldwide and is irrespective of the fact as to whether the death arose in the course or out of employment.

If your company has extended any life cover as a fringe benefit settle this amount as well to the legal heirs

While you settle all the claims obtain the signatures of two witnesses with address, it is also recommended that all the settlements are made in the presence of a notary as a precaution.

After you have done all this, ensure that you file the records in the employees personal file and preserve this file till he would have attained superannuation if he was alive.

If you had a Gratuity policy with LIC, the gratuity claim will be settled as if he had superannuated from the company if he were alive. In other words the claim will be from his date of joining till his date of superannuation (if he was alive).



Hello Padmapriya,
A lot of details have been provided by learned members.
If the deceased has a table or locker then it should be opened in presence of witnesses
and items should be recorded in a list ( Panchanama ? - I am not sure)
All official papers, office gadgets etc will be company's property and anything
of personal nature should be given to the nearest Kith and Kin.
A receipt should be taken for the same.
I hurriedly saw through the above postings and I am not sure if this point is already covered.

Hello Padma Priya
Your post is a two liner one. It therefore made the members to try to understand what you want The members have responded to your post on the basis of their perception as to what you want to know. All the replies are valid in their own right. But you have not responded to any post. This would have enabled the members to know as to what you want to ask in the two liner post.So it is important for the queriest to respond to replies from learned members. so that the discussion can proceed in the right direction.

This discussion thread is closed. If you want to continue this discussion or have a follow up question, please post it on the network.
Add the url of this thread if you want to cite this discussion.

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2020 Cite.Co™