1) Educate employees on the importance of concentrating on what they are doing and do not allow themselves to b distracted
2) Caution them to be not negligent in performing their duties.
3).Wearing helmets wherever necessary.
4) Prohibit smoking strictly in the premises particularly when there is presence of inflammable items on the premises.
5)Using merchandised implements for lifting heavy weights rather than doing it manually.
6)Ensure that no worker indulges in drinking while on duty.
7) Ensure that no worker sleeps while on duty.(particularly during night shifts)
8)Ensure regular maintenance of machines
9)Avoid using defective electric equipment or adhoc wiring and check electric wiring so as to avoid short circuits.
10)Provide eye gear wherever necessary.
11) Provide fire extinguishers at all strategic points.
12)Check your ceiling and roofs and attend to repairs immediately if needed.
13)Provide masks wherever needed.
If your establishment is a factory,thw Factories Act enumerates a list of safety measures tobe taken by the occupier. I request you to go through them.
Hope this helps
10th November 2013 From India, Mumbai
In addition to points mentioned by Sh. Sai Kumar, some of the Labour Laws also provide for provision of Emergency Help (First Aid in Factory/unit premises) to the workers in the event of accidents.
Some of the enactments also provide for submission of Accident Reports to the appropriate authorities viz.-Branch Manager of ESIC as well as to the Factory Inspector as laid down under respective laws. The provisions of such enactments/labour laws should be complied with so that the employees or their dependants are in a position to claim various benefits as available under said laws.
10th November 2013 From India, Noida
If I have understood your query correctly, I presume that you are interested in steps which are to be taken in case of an accident which happens in unit premises. If yes, I would suggest you as under as per my practical knowledge. These suggestions are for major accidents.
1. Go to the accident site and take account of the situation. If the workers are angry, pacify them and try to win their confidence that the management shall take all care of the victim employee, be it his/her treatment by the best available medical experts or some financial assistance, required to meet emergencies.
2. Arrange to call Doctor or rush the injured to hospital for first aid and treatment.
3. Report the injury / accident to higher authorities and the authorities which are required to be informed as per rules applicable to your establishment.
4. If the accident is so unfortunate that the employee has expired either on spot or during treatment, first of all call upon the family members and show your hearty condolences. Arrange for respectable funeral of the deceased. Try to provide assistance for transportation of body to native place if the family members so desire, if possible, by taking higher management into confidence because the death has arisen out of accident. This will portray a very high image of management in the eyes of employees.
5. Process for payment of Employees Compensation and other terminal dues as per law applicable. In some industries, there is a provision of compassionate employment in such cases, if so, process for employment of one dependent. The paper work may require some formalities, but just convey the message that the management is seriously keen to settle the dues. The message itself will do a lot.
If you are honest in your approach, you will be a winner.
11th November 2013 From India, Jabalpur
Primarily I think all you need is a good safety and health program. This is where you can readily identify hazards in your workplace, and find ways to prevent and control the hazard so no accident will happen on the job site. A good safety program should be suited to the work environment, this is always dependent on the nature of the work. Though it is complicated as it might seem, but you can hire a safety and health professional to do the program and should always be monitored for compliance by both the employer and the employees. In your place maybe you can find someone who knows the job that is well versed on the subject. After all, this is a continued commitment for a safer and accident free workplace.
Project Civil Engineer
MG 8600 Air Separation Plant
Taiyo Nippon Sanso Phils., Inc.
12th November 2013 From Philippines, Davao City
20th November 2013 From India, Imphal