If Employee Want To Take More Days Off Than Earned Leave Balance? - CiteHR
Asst. General Manager - Hr & Ir
Bandna Jamwal
Hr Executive
+3 Others

Cite.Co is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors sharing their experience and insights.
Join Us and help by adding your inputs. Contributions From Other Members Follow Below...
Greeting of the day!!!!!!
All seniors,
I am working in manufacturing company as a HR Executive. I want to ask if an employee is going to on leave of 28 days (From 14.10.2013 to 10.11.2013) but there is only 6.5 EL are pending in his leave account. Then what should I do. ? please guide me

Dear Bandna
Reamining days can be put as LOP i.e Loss of Pay. will be paid for only 6.5 days salary for the month.
or if your organisation allows him to take advance leave of the next year and also do so and make the payment .

You can have two options.
1) You can adjust the leave at credit agaisnt the his absence and the remaining days can be traeted as leave on loss of pay,or
2) You can calculate his leave on prorata basis from Janurary to September and grant the same along with leave at credit, if the company's policy permits.

It has to be leave without pay,if availed leave exceeds available leave to his credit.Also, leave without pay cannot be availed by the employee without the approval of the sanctioning authority.
You can give available leaves of 6.5 as EL and remaining will be LOP only.
Depends upon the condition of leave, the management may approve to take
advance EL for the coming year on Special approval, this is a paractice in all
the industries.

Dear Bandanaji
Learned follower MmsMnk has very rightly suggested, I agree with his views in totality. Only thing I would like to add that advance leave or pro-rata leave cannot be granted to any employee if the Company's Policies do not permit, because this will create unnecessary demand of advance leave in all such cases and control would be very difficult for a HR Manager. If denied to others, this will again be questionable before law enforcing agencies, to which there would be no legitimate answer.
So to avoid future complications just stick to rules and policies in force. We can extend our help to the extent that the employee concerned is allowed to avail leave without pay, if he/she opts for the same, else the leave should categorically be denied, without any deviation.
Best wishes
AK Jain
HR Personnel

This discussion thread is closed. If you want to continue this discussion or have a follow up question, please post it on the network.
Add the url of this thread if you want to cite this discussion.

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2020 Cite.Co™