Career Management, Talent & Capability
Manager Sanmar Speciality Chemicals
+8 Others

Hi all,
I have been terminated recently on behavioral grounds due to physical assault (slapped a person in the office however no involment of police at all).
I worked in the company for 3.8 years and was my 1st job.
Now the problem is the employer is not ready to give relieving letter and is not ready to let me serve notice period as well.
I visited couple of job consultancy who advised me that having a relieving letter from previous employer is a must and other companies will not consider my job experience/job application if i don't have a relieving letter.
However I have spoken to the management of previous company, they may give an experience certificate (not finalised).
So wanted to know if experience certificate is enough to look for a new job.
Please advise the course of action I could take to get back to the normal.
Whatever happened was very unfortunate incident which will never happen again.
Please help.
5th October 2013 From India, Bangalore
Manage with Exp. certificate. Even you get relieving letter, they may mention the reason for separation as Termination which may cast shadow in your future endevours. Pon
5th October 2013 From India, Lucknow
Dear Sunny,
Generally experience certificate is enough. Some companies may insist for relieving.
You may ask your employer to include the word "relieved from your duties w.e.f. ..."
I think this would be sufficient to get another job.
5th October 2013 From India, Visakhapatnam
Hi Sunny
You slapped a colleague in office!! So the termination was justified as well and from the tone of your message it feels you hold no grudges with the organization for taking this step, which is good! Actually, Relieving letter is least of your problems. An experience letter will suffice in most cases. Some organizations insist of seeing both your resignation and relieving letters but they are rare in numbers, so not a problem.
The bigger problem that you need to worry about will be the reference checks and that could become a far bigger damper than you think, especially in organizations that have third party reference checks done. That is something you need to look into more carefully.
Emotions need to be controlled at all times, Sunny. They tend to create chaos and disaster.
5th October 2013 From India, Delhi
Hi Navneet Sir,
Thank you so much for your reply.
I spoke to the HR of my previous company they said that they will not disclose the reason of the termination and will only specify how long I was working there and my performance.
So I am expecting a smooth background check.
Thank you again for you time and valuable advise.
5th October 2013 From India, Bangalore
sunny relievin letter is not a problem to get a job. as Navneet said reference check is the only hurdle in case your behavior thing. please open to employer in case if your thing comes to HR dept and also point out what sort of mistake committed by both of you (employees)
and also give those reference name who close with you
7th October 2013 From India, Jamshedpur
Relieving letter, I feel, is necessary. And many organizations demand copy of resignation, resignation acceptance, and also relieving letter. This is to make sure that an employee is not in double employment.
Experience certificate, anyone can request his HR, even he is in employment and continuing the same. Employee may want Exp cert for many reasons, and HRs issues the same.
If Sunny produces only Exp Cert to his new employer, and grabs the job, what is the document on record that he has left his ex-employer ? A Termination letter !!
7th October 2013 From India, Mumbai
@ Abhay
There is a huge difference between Experience letter being given to an employee who is still with the organization and one who has left. The difference is the end date. For an existing employee it will clearly state that the person is still in employment of the organization while the other one will definitely have a start date and an end date - a "From - To" format.
The other document that has a similar effect is the letter / Statement that the organization ( most of them) give when handing over your full and final payment. It signifies that all dues are fully considered and paid in full and that only happens when you have left the organization.
Just my opinion and i could be wrong...:-)
Navneet Chandra
7th October 2013 From India, Delhi
Dear Sunny
Speak to your employer and get a pact done about providing a positive feedback for you during employment verification. few employers might turn nasty, they might promise you to give a positive feedback and later may not keep their word.
Also request for a experience letter where your date of joining and last day of working is mentioned.
Good Luck :)
7th October 2013 From India, Mumbai
In this case what you have done is indiscipline in the work place. The company has the right to terminate you from service after the enquiry. therefore there is no point in antoganising the mangement. However if you request them they may do so. even though a relieving letter is given you must get a good background reference as there is a column that whether the employee is relieved on a normal basis or specific reason etc. Therefore get the experience certificate and request the company management to give proper reference to be good for your future. However I feel happy that you have realised your mistake.
8th October 2013 From India, Madras
Dear Sunny,
i really appreciate for your openness.and all seniors for their valuable information.
with reference to the above discussions i would strongly go with rutuja,
just ask your previous employer about Experience letter mentioning DOJ and DOL.
those details gets you a new job.....
good luck Sunny
9th October 2013 From India, Hyderabad
It is good to know that you feel shame in what you have done. There will be no issue of relieving letter. You can use your experience letter or good thing is that you must talk to the management once again and feel sorry for what you did?
10th October 2013 From India, Chandigarh
Experience letter is good enough. Just make sure they mark your joining and separation date on the experience letter. If any HR in your new company asks about relieving letter just tell them that they gave it to you and you cant find it. Tell them that your separation date is clear on experience letter and hence its clarified. Just be confident while presenting your documents and it should do the job.

Regarding ref checks, no organization of minimum repute would try to screw a person's career by releasing info as such in your case. I know a person who was involved in a financial fraud in a fortune 500 company and now is working with another big company. Ref checks will always be positive if you get an experience letter, unless its a company with very few employees and the MD has a personal grudge on you. They wont issue any such letter to prove employment if it weren't to help your career.

Bid a professional goodbye to every person who you think could be of help to you in future.

Just be sure to get the date of separation printed on your experience letter!!
10th October 2013 From India, Hyderabad
The Slapping at work place is treated as Misconduct and even punishable under IPC. First you have to check with Local police station whether any case is registered against you!. Because the management may make a move in such a way !.
Coming to your joining in next job, most of the IT concerns are making reference check and you may caught into that!.
Third is The employment bond will get broken, once you should get releivel order from them not like expereinece certificate.
This is my views please.
All the very best fro your future endeavours.
T Muralidaran
11th October 2013 From India, Hosur
Slapping is though criminal offence, it was justified. relieve letter is to ensure that your no more in service with a company so that you will not involve in dual employment. Otherwise experience certificate is the main aspect. However request your employer to allow you submitting resignation letter & to relieve immediately. If not, leave it & chase opening with Exp certificate. Try to manage with new company HR either by disclosing the fact or by treating him back door
15th October 2013 From India, Chennai
Add Reply Start A New Discussion

Cite.Co - is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors. Register Here and help by adding your inputs to this topic/query page.
Prime Sponsor: TALENTEDGE - Certification Courses for career growth from top institutes like IIM / XLRI direct to device (online digital learning)

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2019 Cite.Co™