Process Industry Consultant / Soft Skill
Sr. Executive - Hr & Ga
Training, Motivational Speaker, Writing,
ENGLISH, an international langauage that can be learnt by anyone from anywhere. To learn english fluently one has to practise speaking without hesitating; you do not necessarily need to have an English speaker to speak all the time. Just the physical act of speaking the language out loud will help you discover the common mistakes you make in sentence structure, grammar, word choice and pronunciation.
Always refer a dictionary while you read from any newspaper or journals -- use them in your daily speech (you're pronouncing wrong, LET IT BE) by knowing its meaning you may learn more and more. Listen to english speaking channels, television programs, radio etc.
Best of option is record your speech while you read-out louder, listen then, groom over language. Start writing short sentences initially by understanding it.
Attribution: Learn English Online with English4Today: Grammar, vocabulary, tests, games, exerices and courses
5th March 2013 From India, Visakhapatnam
At the outset let me tell you that the problem you have shared is quite commonly encountered by many people. However, very few people take proactive steps, like you have done to make an effort to tackle the problem by seeking help. Sharmila has already given you some excellent inputs and shared the attribution link with you and thus given you a good start. I am taking the liberty of adding to the discussion.
It is essential also to remember that for anything you do in life, a clear goal /vision, adequate motivation / enthusiasm, hard work / discipline and the ability to take risks/ challenges are critical attributes. What you also require are the key attributes called 'discipline' and 'enthusiasm' with which you can achieve anything you want.
Your enthusiasm is the reason you wrote in to us.The next test is to be disciplined and follow the suggestions given here.
1. My first suggestion, reinforcing what Sharimla has stated, is to read aloud as much as possible in English ALOUD. A standard daily English Newspaper and the Readers Digest have very good reading material. If possible record your voice and listen to it to know the areas the sounds, words and alphabets that give you trouble and on which you need to work. If possible read aloud to a friend who can give you his/ her feedback based on which you can work on improving your pronunciation as well as articulation.
2. The mother tongue influence is a problem for many considering that very few of us are native English speakers. To reduce that, make more English speaking friends and make a determined effort to speak only in English, even if you keep forgetting words, or tend to stammer or your friends tend to laugh at you. This will require a lot of will power but believe me you will soon improve. If someone corrects your pronunciation donít take offense, instead be grateful that he/ she is helping you correct yourself.
3. I would also suggest you try to learn at least 3 -5 new words daily and look up the meaning in a dictionary. then try and use these words in your daily work and in your communication to improve your vocabulary. Find synonyms for words that give you trouble and use the synonyms where ever possible.
4. If you still feel that professional help is needed then you will have to attend English speaking classes
5. Finally, if you can, do visit my blogs listed below regularly and try to learn the new words in it and also be inspired by it. Try to read the blog content aloud and look up in the dictionary the new words that you come across. You can be sure it will be worthwhile since the blogs have a good response from the readers.
6th March 2013 From India, Mumbai
Welcome to Cite HR family
This is a very good site to improve your English and Communication skills.
As you read this message you can also see in the right hand side plenty
of postings titled Similar Postings, Discussion Topic etc.
Please go through them and get benefitted.
After a while you can also fill in the Box at the top titled SEARCH QUERY
and click the button next to it. You will get a lot of useful postings.
Wish you all the best.
V.Raghunathan..................................... .................................Navi Mumbai
6th March 2013 From India
For improving written English, subscribe to the excellent WriteEasy courses on Don't let English hold you back. There are three type of courses there. All courses are web enabled and highly interactive. You get a 3 month license on payment of a small amount. In these 3 months, you may access your course any number of times to learn new stuff and take up new exercises. There is a free introductory course too.
In case of any problems, let me know.
8th March 2013 From India, Mumbai
I have completed MBA (HR) through correspondence and currently I am working as Executive - HR & Admin for past three years in shipping Industry.I doesn't get proper increment and promotion due to some internal politics how to show my performance to the Management.
1st July 2013 From India, Chennai