Tax & Labor Law Advocate
Recruitment/talent Acquisition, Career Counselling
Sr. Hr Executive @ Polymerupdate
+3 Others

Cite.Co is a repository of information and resources created by industry seniors and experts sharing their real world insights. Join Network
hi seniors,

i finished my UG in engineering in 2012. the thing is ,actually i joined in B.E, course on 2007, but during my 6th semester examination(may 2010), i met a terrible accident before the examination date,my both legs were broken and i was unable to attend the 6 th exams ...

during my 7th semester and 8th semester (final year) i did nt attend the most of the classed ( nearly 70 % of lectures), my college management allowed me to write examination by adjusting the attendance( i gave valid medical certificate).....i wrote few exams...but other exams i was not able to write due to my illness (i know i should not tel reasons, but seriously i was not able to write)...

i took extra 2 semesters to fulfill my degree...(i.e) i should have completed on April 2011, but i completed in April 2012,with first class degree (thankfully with 75%)...i have got my provisional and degree certificate as ""passing year: April 2012 with 1st class""....

my question is i am 2011 passed out or 2012 passed out ? .. many of my friends and colleagues tell that i am " 2012 passed out"...and few tell the other way. please clarify...

also another question is "if i am 2012 passed out, if i attend the 2012/2013 passed out campus drive ,can i attend and also can i tell this as valid reasons for my educational gap( i am having the doctor and fitness certificate )"..............please clarify....

Thanks & Regards,

Karthik Raj

From India
Hi Kartik.

Pls find the answers to your query below:

Since you finally cleared all your semesters in 2012, you're a 2012 pass out.

But it should not matter having known the genuine cause of gap.

If your doctor qualify you to be fit for work you can be hired.

About 2012/13 passed out campus drive:

I fail to understand from your post is it Academic year 2012-13 pass out or a "2012 and 2013" pass outs.

In the former case, you cannot as the drive is for 2013 pass outs - your Junior

In the latter case, sure you can as you're 2012 pass out.

Can I tell this means???

If you are saying that you wish to give your cause as answer to the gap query, YES.

Always remember, whatever you're asked, answer truly. Don't lie. It may or may not be caught on the moment. It would but prick you hard and worst if ever the cat comes out of the bag in future.

Tell and explain why was the gap. What happened and show your medical certificates of that period or bills that would re-emphasis the fact that whatever you're claiming is true. Again have a medical certificate from your doctor mentioning if you're fit to work. This would really have an impact.

Refer to foll link for further reference on same / similar issue:

Foll gives a view on how gap is observed:

And always remember nothing wins like truth.

All the best. Hope it helped. :)

From India, Mumbai
Hi Karthik :

As Ankita has mentioned you are 2012 passout. I think you should have been clear about his since you are a Engg graduate and this piece of info is very basic. Anyhow I understand sometimes we do get confused.

You will have to try for off-campus job opportunities. The ones attending 2012-13 campus drive are the ones who will be passing out in 2013 right.

I would suggest stay focused and prepare yourself to succeed in the interviews (technically). Mention the details of the educational gap whereever asked on the employment application form given by the companies. I dont think you need to go too much out of way to highlight your educational gap until and unless you are questioned about it during interview. If questioned give to the point reply rather than making it sound like a explanation. I have been on the interview panel for freshers and I have observed that 80% students fake the reason of the educational gap and me as an HR catch this when they go overboard in explaining. You can state that you met with a serious accident and had to take break from education inorder to recover. You can add that the medical reports are available with you in case the company would like to verify the details.

Hope my inputs will be useful to you. ALL THE BEST !!!

From India, Pune
Hi Karthik,
Same such incident was faced by my friend & in your scenario its been considered as 2011 pass out. But the thing here differs is he was not backup'd by the college & your helped by college for attendance since with valid reason. Here in this you are very well considered as 2012 pass out since in your degree certificate they have mentioned as 2012. thank your institution for helping on your part.

From India, Chennai
Hello Karthik Raj,
While empathizing with your situation, the other members have given very valid answers--hope that clarifies your main query.
This topic was discussed even recently [though the grounds/reasons are different]--pl see the Link below:
Coming to the options open to you in your job hunt, I think there are TWO:
1] Talk to your college to include you in the current Campus Placements--since they will be better placed to explain reg your situation to the companies coming for Campus Placements. Human nature being what it is, it's easier to take/accept others' word than the individual's.
2] Apply for Fresher positions where there's no restriction about the number of attempts made to pass the subjects--some companies have "UPTO 5 attempts" Rule.
All the Best.

From India, Hyderabad
Don't get confused the date on your degree states the year of pass out and that's what you have to mention. Now your worry about the Gap, so that's not important as you must be having documentary proofs of your accident like medical papers etc. so in case if any one ask about the gap you can show them. As already you have passed out I don't feel you are eligible for campus recruitment. So just stay in calm and concentrate on off campus jobs as you have good marks, I am sure you will get a nice break. One more thing when God has helped you recover from such a serious accident he will help you in finding a good job. So do your best and don't falsify any records.

From India, Delhi
HI Karthik,
Need to to worry since I have also faced a same situation....
You had met with an accident (Mine was different .....:) )
Well anyways.... after all everything matters is your potential...
After you start to work nobody will come and ask about you marks but your potentials.
My best wishes are with you!!

From India, Pune
This discussion thread is closed. If you want to continue this discussion or have a follow up question, please post it on the network.
Add the url of this thread if you want to cite this discussion.

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2020 Cite.Co™