Cite.Co is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors sharing their experience and insights.
Join Us and help by adding your inputs. Contributions From Other Members Follow Below...
Join Us and help by adding your inputs. Contributions From Other Members Follow Below...
Let me congratulate you on the opportunity you've got to design an entirely new PMS. Not all HR people do get such an opportunity. I'll share my thoughts.
From a pragmatic perspective, what you could do is first to create an appraisal cycle in discussion with the management. Now that we are in Jan, I would advice that the appraisal cycle for the future years could begin from April (to coincide with the financial year) for a duration of six month or one year. 360 degree wouldn't suit such a small and young enterprise. If April is the appraisal cycle, it is better to start by setting performance goals for the next appraisal cycle. Which means by mid March the employees know what they are expected to produce and work on for the next 1 year (or 6 months, as the case may be). That leaves you roughly about 2 months from now.
Meanwhile you need not have a formal performance appraisal but a general performance feedback will suffice. This needs to be planned to commence by 1st week of Feb. The managers need to discuss with the employees about how in general were the performance of each of them - task wise and behavior / attitude wise. For this you might need to prepare a guideline. The managers may or may not rank / rate the employees, but what is important is that all employees should have received a feedback by end Feb.
This needs to be documented and if possible an analysis needs to be done, just for the records.
Beginning March, the managers need to sit with their respective employees to discuss in detail what is expected out of them during the next cycle. This needs to be a discussion and not an order from the manager. Mutually agreed goals needs to be created and recorded. You might need to create a template for capturing such agreed goals with timelines and magnitude of importance.
Most importantly, all of this needs to be communicated to all employees by end of this month.
So no time to waste. Gather you thought and act now.
All the best.
Do inform the progress
Have you tried conducting the Pre- Performance Evaluation meeting before implementing the 360 degree PA? This is a common impediment that must be creating the employees which goes in vague. If this pre-evaluation is failed it causes and create an adversarial relationship in which the employee and the evaluator are not working cooperatively toward the same goal, but instead at odds with each other. Expectations should be made clear to the evaluators & the employees being evaluated, which basically means the communication should be apparent.
Appraisals should always be carried out periodically often as a source of measures in performance ascertained half yearly or yearly. Quaterly analysis is a squander as they leave no choice of enough time period in measuring the progress. The major objective is to be specific, measurable, achievable, challenging and time-related
Effetive Evaluation Analysis include --
- Employee Self Evaluation: - These are induvidual and such analysis can be done to self assess the employees personal strengths & weaknesses. Also, this procedure also helps one to identify in which areas the employee needs to develop and identity the improvement possible. This information can then be the basis of discussion between the employee and his manager.
- 360 degree performance evaluation: - This is exactly what you understood. Basic way to explain this procedure - Managers in large scale industries have to spend a loads of time in meetings/ rest business purposes; as a result are unable to discuss strengths and weaknesses with the individual being assessed. To overcome this, some companies have introduced "360-degree appraisal" format.
To improve PA; the employer needs to hear the employees by soliciting the effectiveness in interacting which is uncommon in many busineses. Therefore, a strong believe to the gentlemen out there at many companies boast they have not be assessed well enough. Considerably, a company should lend itself to two-way communication.
Thanks you so much for the pragmatic approaches referred. I would like to know few aspects in detail. Please find the listed querys and cleare me at your convenience.
1. Evaluation sheet for the analysis and feed back requires certain criteria to analyse. Is this criteria must reflect the Organizational objective or it can be any thing to analyse the quality of work employees have done. As per my earlier practice, I have considered COMPETENCIES< ORGANIZATIONAL VALUES AND INDIVIDUAL BEHAVIOR as the major criteria for the analysis.
2. While rating/evaluating by providing feed back, What if , if the managers do a biosed rates (Which has actualy happened earlier, just to reduce the percentage of hike to be given and more common bad remains a long than the good, Managers will point only at the mistakes done in-spite appreciating for the innovations/Smart work did). So, I think, I should ask managers/Team lead/BDM to record the critical incidents. Please put your views on the same.
3. Setting up goals for the next cycle... What sort of Goals shout put in front, Is it require to define the goals by HR person/It is the responsibility of the manager. I would be more glad that I would participate in setting up the goals to the next cycle, either in terms of HR issues/Work related issues.
4. Mutually agreed Goals to be recorded with time lines & importance... What if if the manager and subordinate is not coming to a final conclusion??? and Is this mutually agreed goals are the only considerable for next cycle or will it be common asusual.
5. If mutually agreed goals are the only constraints for the next cycle for that x employee, In that case the evaluation sheet will vary from one employee to other, Which ll become a complex process. correct me If I am wrong.
6. I would like to do quarterly analysis, but where in the operations over here wont left me such time to do the same. So, Is that ok, If we do evaluation and appraisal at the same time???
7. Brief me about pre performance evaluation meeting.
Looking forward for the valuable inputs. Thanks in advance.
Pre- evaluation is conducted as a review to actual performance appraisal. In this session you involve the Managers, HOD's, their team and other employees; to list a several crucial areas of the employee's work -- list the tasks where the employee did well or performed below the mark.
1. Employee evaluation: depends on the productivity & outcome. Apart from the above analysis mentioned by you, the simplest measures accountible depends majorily on Comphrehension Strengths, Weaknesses and Effective Communication skills.
2. In order to eliminate the biased nature in appraisal systems is to discuss and decide the criterion of assessment. talk to the purticulat team of employees with their supervisor or manager, to discuss his job performance. A one-on-one conversation will not intimidate an employee in the same way as a group interview. This makes you much easier by a way where you really dont require to worry about. [Comparing JD to that of end result sdelivered will help evaluation without any challenges.
3. Goals can be set to the JD provided with the KPI's decided by the process manager in front of the HR and the Senior manager. Focus a good portion your efforts on measurable goals because you need strong performance in these areas to get a good evaluation. Be honest in how you report work outputs, and avoid exaggerating them to look like a high performer
4. This point is similiar to that of 3rd point answered.
5.Evaluation sheet wouldnot vary coz the work performance, accomplishments and challenges in a journal throughout the performance evaluation period.
6. Giving interlude of time period between one review to other actually gives some space to identify and indemnify their skill level performance applying best level abilities to perform all assigned tasks.
I also request the HR members to revisit the employees recurrently for mornitoring and corrective verbal feedback from seniors.
I appreciate your guidance so far and would like to know the basic concept of Performance management beyond the theory. So, Can you please give me your own views, on the below queries.
1. what is performance Managements?
2. Why is it important in the organizations?
3. What are the major reasons and Objectives of Performance management?
4. What could be the result of Performance Management.
i would appreciate your replies and thanks in advance.
How Do Performance Appraisals Work in Your Organization? « hrmexpress
How Can Managers Improve Performance Appraisals? « hrmexpress
10 Tips for Effective Performance Reviews « hrmexpress
Performance Development Planning « hrmexpress
Performance Improvement Plan « hrmexpress