Hi Guys,
I need your help. We have an employee who was on boarded last year November 2011. We have issued the Appointment letter to her with XYZ Name, eventhough her Pan Cards & other ID proofs Mentioned is “ABC”, name (We did this due to her request). Now the employee is requesting for the revised Appointment letter having the name "ABC".
I want to know, whether we can issue new Appointment letter with the name changed or not. If yes, please help me with the sample.

From India, Bangalore
Director Of Company
Hr, Ir, Law, Disc. Matters
+3 Others


An Appointment letter should be on the name of the employee for which he or she has an identity proof.
From India, Mumbai

I fully agree with Mr. Bhatinarang, now you ask the employee to give you back the original appointment letter and in lieu issue her a new appointment letter for which you possess the identity.
From India, Ahmadabad
Narendra Badgujar
Hi, pl check her idendity whether she has changed her name? If yes, get the gazetted copy of the same and verify otherwise you ask he to leave the job.
From India, Chennai
It is a mistake to issue appointment letter in wrong name. First take back the letter in name of XYZ . Issue new letter after confirming her identity & carrying verification.
From India, Mumbai

Please check the Name & Date of Birth on Photo - ID (PAN Card/ Voter Card/ Passport/ Driving License) & on her Certificates (Higher Secondary onwards); compare the same with the name on the Appointment Letter already issued by you. If it is the same, advice the candidate to follow the laid down procedure for Change of Name (which starts with a notification in a national News Paper) & produce the requisite approval from the Registrar's office (appointed by the state administration). Thereafter, you may provide a fresh Appointment Letter (in which cancellation of the letter already issued in XYZ name should be mentioned).

And if the name is not the same, how did you issue the Appointment Letter to ABC when XYZ was selected for the job? You need to review & fine tune your Recruitment Process (which includes accepting only such Resumes which has been signed by the candidate and carries candidate's photograph fixed/ pasted on it, comparing the photograph with the candidate in person & also with his/ her photo-ID and then allowing the individual to appear for Test/ Interview, and affixing another copy of the photograph (attested by HR) on the Interview Evaluation Form). You will introduce a fail-safe system if the candidate's signatures, while accepting your Appointment Letter, are compared with his/ her Signatures on the Resume & certified by HR. Keep all these documents in the employee's personal File for reference.

From India, Delhi


Facts as stated by an applicant in his application for employment are verified by authentic documents submitted/produced at the time of selection and a copy of the same is retained in the official records of the organisation on his appointment. Issue of letter of appointment in another name(as per the request of the appointee) is in utter disregard of the information contained in verified documents and is a blunder on the part of the HR professional handling the case which,once known to your employer , will create for you a tough time in saving your skin, anyways. What you can do in the present situation is as under:

a.Ensure that such blunder does not recur;

b. Take back the originally issued letter and issue the other one as per the correct name;

c.Pl. ensure that the letter requesting change of name is not placed in her personal records with the organisation;

d. Never quote this situation to any one in your organisation.

I am sure this will be of some help to you.



From India, Delhi

Dear Friend
First this is not right that you mentioned/gave wrong name in appointment letter.
Second you can change it in some conditions /genuine reason after verifying his/her identity proof, schooling credentials and it must be attested by gazette officer.

From India, New Delhi

Dear all, I wonder whether the change in name is necessitated by Marriage/divorce. In any case, since the appointment is made a year back and the name XYZ appears in many company records, it will not be proper to issue a fresh appointment with ABC name. However you can issue a formal order allowing to prospectively change the name as desired by her, but she should give reasons for seeking the change which should be satisfactory. For record, the appointment order shall always be in the name given in the accademic record. Frequent change of name or surname shall not be allowed except in case of women employees consequent to their marriage/divorce and if the employee so desires. Hope this clarifies.

From India, Bhopal

If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views.

About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2023 CiteHR®

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server