If management chooses to use a form of the top-down command and control strategy of managing people, this will demotivate and disengage employees.
If you want to test your ability to create engage employees, I suggest you take the test at my website. If you are looking for engagement activities, don't waste your time because any positive effects from them disappear quite quickly.
Best regards, Ben Simonton
Leadership is a science and so is engagement
11th October 2012 From United States, Tampa
Below I have mentioned few bullet points on latest employee engagement trends.
Employee engagement activities / programs widely performed in today's organization:
1. Picnic at intervals on a regular basis( yearly once or twice).
2. Movie plans.
3. A every-day column on the intranet with announcements / programs of the company, written by CEO,
4. Use an overhead paging system to update information. The system can recognize employees based on business achievements
5. Suggestion systems / quick responses of employees.
6. Replay on the intranet about the president’s / CEO’s press conference.
7. Along with employee's birthday, anniversaries & years of completion with the company can be celebrated.
8. CEO spending time communicating face to face with employees.
9. Implement training programs on soft skills and other required training programs.
10. Indoor Games as well as Outdoor games, like Chess, Cricket, Badminton etc.
11. Organize award ceremonies for deserving employees.
12. Write blogs every week on serious issues related to business and ask employees for reading/recommendations.
Hope this information will be useful.
18th October 2012 From India, Bangalore