Human resources play a vital role in total quality management .The following forces shape the Human Resources management towards TQM.
· Economic liberalizations announced by the Government of India in 1991.
· Opening the Indian economy to the rest of the global through the globalization policy.
· Entrusting more priority for private sector to play a constructive role in the restructuring and development process of Indian economy.
· Mounting competition among the industries across the globe.
· Successful companies accord high priority to productively and systematically understanding and responding to current and future external customer needs.
· Successful organizations proactively and systematically understand and respond to current and future customer needs.
· Human resource diversity and mobility are creating new employee needs and expectations about the future work culture.
· The information technology revolution is reshaping the core competencies needed in a knowledge economy.
· Organizational and Human resource leaders are being challenged to become effective strategic partners in the creation of world-class work cultures.
The TQM approach brought changes in the attitudes and expectations of the managers about the roles of human resource managers .Further, the expectations of stakeholders about the HRM profession have also been changing. Traditionally objectives of the business organizations were restricted to productivity and profits. Consequently, stakeholders particularly the customers and employees were given low priority .Workers’ participation in management programs were limited to offering suggestions by employees. Training and development programs were limited to job related activities rather than extending to employee capacities.
But, the business objectives and total quality HRM approach are to maximize customer satisfaction, and market share though improved quality
26th October 2005 From India, New Delhi
Disclaimer: This network and the advice provided in good faith by our members only facilitates as a direction towards the actions necessary. The advice should be validated by proper consultation with a certified professional. The network or the members providing advice cannot be held liable for any consequences, under any circumstances.