My Seniors,

Recently i came to know that my actual DOB is 24-09-1983 through my birth certificate which I found from a "Garbage Bundle". But in my school leaving certificate or other docs its given as 23-09-1981. My parents are not much educated, so they were not aware about all these Documentation things. When I confronted them they told me they got married during December,1982.

Allthough they have always mention my correct age but I thought they are trying to hide my actual age, so i didn't bother much. But now with that piece of paper in hand i am feeling really worried.

Hence, my questions is that can i somehow correct that mistake legally?

I think that mistake has been done by my school ops dept. Because in WB Board only SSC Certificate comes with DOB mentioned on it. In my career that age issue has become a great matter to me. I'm loosing many opportunities on that ground.

Now if I show that paper with court affidavite or any other legal docs will HR consider that matter? Is that possible at all?

Please help me.

Yours Trully,


From India, Calcutta
Administration & Liaisoning Head
Hr & Od Consultant
Recruitment/talent Acquisition, Career Counselling
Ir, Er, Payroll, Recruitment,
Sr. Manager Hr
Asst. Manager Hr & Admin.
Chartered Accountant
+1 Other

Since you are not nearing the age of superannuation now, you can get the date of birth corrected through Judicial process, by means of decree in Munsiff' court. You can contact any advocate of your locality in this regard.
From India, Selam
Can you please explain the process in details. I live at Kolkata Municipal Corporation area. I have discussed that issue with my close friends circle but just because it's quite unusual problem that's why no one could not give me any real solution. I can't discuss that matter with my colleagues because it's quite sensitive issue to me. Hence you people are my last resort.
Please help me.
Mahua Biswas

From India, Calcutta
Hello Mahua Biswas,
Like Venkatraghavan suggested, talk to a lawyer/advocate & get it rectified thru the judicial process--though it would take time, this is the only way you can handle it from the legal sense.
No amount of sharing the problem with friends will help--for the simple reason that they may not be competent enough to handle it [unless one of them is a lawyer].
Also, in a lighter vein, suggest get this resolved ASAP--if you wait till just before your retirement, there's every chance that you could land-up in the same situation like Gen. VK Singh--hope you get the point :-)
All the Best.

From India, Hyderabad
If I correct my age mistake through judicial process then will HR's would accept all those docs?
If it's a time-consuming process then how long it's gonna take?
Am I have to correct all the docs such as school leaving certificate, PAN, Voter Card, Ration Card etc individually?
Plz give me the answer!
Mahua Biswas

From India, Calcutta
How many months or years of difference? Generally whatever is given in School Leaving Certificte is final You can get it amended through judicial process But think whether it is worth as you need to correct all documents. If it is few months, then i suggest you leave it

From India, Chennai
You might not have to change it on all documents. Consult a lawyer. Get an affidavit from appropriate court and create new passport, PAN card and license with updated date of birth. It will be accepted by HR of all companies.
From India, Mumbai
Mr. Mahua Biswas, I am actually really shocked to found that you are discussing and have shared something which you not supposed to mention here. I personally really feel that with highlighted para above and never expect the same from anyone with this kind of manner with whatever reason. Not only you who have wrong DOB on paper with the same reason but many, but also it doesn’t mean children deserve the right to confront their parents for this.

Confrontation with PARENTS, im beg your pardon but I can’t express what im feeling now ….. how can you use this to your parents??

I buy that you wanna change your DOB officially and there are procedure to do the same but this kind of actions that you have taken is really not acceptable to me. I am with the same age group; therefore, I just can advise you and to all, for not repeating the same in future.

Even I know numbers of people personally who have 1 or 2 years difference with their original DOB and some with 3 years but never found that kind of reaction with no one.

About the solution of your problem, as you already having your Birth Certificate is enough to get starting this procedure to change your DOB.

We all know what Birth Certificate valued to us, and you gonna know that too

Step 1, Affidavit for Change in DOB : go to any advocate or Notary for affidavit of change in DOB which is the very first requirement for this procedure also if you want can make a public declaration /add in advertisement (No necessary but can be really helpful)

Step 2, Go to your District Municipal Corporation Office and make a request to them by enclosing your Affidavit, DOB and address proof for your VOTER ID CARD or change in RASHAN CARD. There is also a procedure and for this you must visit them.

You came here to discuss but never tried to do the same at your own what I have suggested you above. You are not a child anymore and must take the situation wisely instead of confrontation and …..

Well the step 3 : when you will be issued your changed documents (VOTER ID CARD, RASHAN CARD) can apply with the original Affidavit for change in LICENSE and PAN Card with DOB.

Lastly, before going further, as I have lot to say in response of your query, I would like to know more or please explain your “I'm loosing many opportunities on that ground” What kind of opportunities and problem you are talking about.

“The solutions I have mentioned above are basics of this procedure and for all the people who are having this kind of problem”

And please convey my regards to your respective parents. Best of Luck

From India, Gurgaon
The same happened with me too . My actual date of Birth is 1982 but in high school certificate it was mentioned 1979 ,I feel bad because in my pan card also I had to provide high school mark sheet as age proof and it is now 1979 every there too .
It made me 3 year older , I really feel bad personally as in office and other places people might think I am hiding my age by saying 82 actual would be the same on pan card.
I consult a lawyer but since it can not be changed in mark sheets now, my husband told me to let it go as he know the fact.
What you suggest seniors should I get it changed or let leave.

From India, Mumbai
It does really matter to you?? Think about it again and answer to yourself first. You know that it doesn’t make any difference and you and your Husband is also knows it and accept this fact then why you want to change it. Do you really think that this change and change your life anyhow? Can make any benefit to you or give you something that is required but not being possible bcz of wrong DOB?
I just want answer of these questions from you or just answer to yourself once.

From India, Gurgaon

If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views.

About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2022 CiteHR®

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server