Our company ( NBFC ) is having branches in Jammu & Kashmir areas. We are covering all of our employees under employees Provident fund and remitting contribution centrally. One of the Enforcement Officer visited our branches and instructed us to apply for separate Establishment code in J & K area branches. Is it necessary to open separate PF registration in J &K.

From India, Kottayam
Rahul Kumar
Senior HR Professional

Dear Jis,

While it does not expressly specify that you have to seek a separate establishment code for PF in any State, however, that is the normal practice. In a manner of speaking, you need to take separate establishment code for PF in a State that you run business in. That is why State-level RPFCs have been created. The Enforcement Officer is right in his advice to your organization.

Many organizations, however, request for and get remittance to a 'central' establishment code for the simple reasons of administrative convenience of the organization and its business(es) or due to some specified State limitations. A plausible reason or argument has to be furnished by your organization to the CPFC with a copy to the RPFC in writing, based on which the Central PF Commissioner may consider your request or may reject is for want of sufficient reason. Due consideration is also given to the fact whether your organization has branches/business units (SBUs) or sister Companies and whether their balance sheets are common/linked/independant.

The choice is yours either to comply with applying for and getting an establishment code in J&K or write to the PF Commissioner to request for a central remittance based on a single code.

Hope this clarifies.


From India, New Delhi
This discussion thread is closed. If you want to continue this discussion or have a follow up question, please post it on the network.
Add the url of this thread if you want to cite this discussion.

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2021 Cite.Co™