Transfer Opportunity!! - CiteHR
Cite.Co is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors sharing their experience and insights.
Join Us and help by adding your inputs. Contributions From Other Members Follow Below...
Seniors

Firstly I would like to appreciate a lot of help, knowledge and advice that i am getting from you guys, I thank you so much.

I have a situation at my work place, I work as an HR officer responsible for Training and Development. We are not in good working order with my boss she reduces our sevices to more of clerical and administrative duties, were we are not allowed to think on our own except to consult her as if we are remote controlled. She keeps all policies to her chest even to us her supporting staff thereby making it difficult for us do anything except waiting for orders. Right now she is back from Strategic Management meeting, we do not know what she presented and where we are focussing, we only have to be flexible.

The story now is that one of our sister company want to break free from us thereby forming its own HR Department different from ours. We have been rendering HR services to them all this time, but they now need to do it on their own. I happen to befried most of the administrators in that company including the Director. One day at a social club at work we just happened that one of the employees in that company highlighted to the Director, that they can consider me for the position and he said I can apply the vacant is there.

Today on my way from lunch, i bumped into that Director (we are at the same complex) and he asked me if i applied which i responded i am still drafting the letter. I have send him an email this afternoon asking him isf he was serious about the post. He has not yet responded.

Now my biggest challenges are that:

1. My boss may stop me from moving to that company, as i believe she knows my potential, that i will be a huge loss to the department, as she has been choking my recogntion from top management

2. She may propose that the post be advertised in the newspaper as the normal procedure of most vacancies, just to chalk me with stiff competition

3. What can i consider before moving over?

4 Should I go ahead and apply if he confirms he was serious?

5. Should i make my arrangements quietly or should i come out in the open of my desire to move away from her?

Seniors please i need your help, by the way the sister company is paying more than the rest of the company its donor funded.

Regards

SC

You have said that you have good rapport with the Director of the sister company and that others there have also recommended your case to him.Now you havs some apprehension, because of the non-response from the director, that your boss may come in your way. Your apprehension may be right or wrong also. What you need to do is, instead of applying in anticipation, you can meet the Director and have one to one discussion and if he gives green signal, you can go ahead with applying for the job.If he gives diplomatic reply and avoids giving any affirmative reply, your apprehension may be right. Then you can decide whether to continue in this company or move over to other company and what is the right time for it.
B.Saikumar
HR & Labour LAw Advisor
Mumbai

Hello schigango,

I can empathize with you--having seen such situations earlier.

Some bosses are like that--usually [though not always] emanating from a projected false superiority complex coupled with a inferiority complex that they don't want to reveal externally.

Coming to your queries, pl clarify/confirm if the Director of the sister-company knows about what you are going thru--or at least the psychology of your boss. A lot could depend on this factor w.r.t. your NEXT step.

As far as the answers you seek, here they are--to the extent I can visualize from the factual to the presumed:

1. My boss may stop me from moving to that company, as i believe she knows my potential, that i will be a huge loss to the department, as she has been choking my recognition from top management

ANS: You can be sure she will make all efforts to halt your transfer process--fair or foul [like they say, all's fair in war and.......]. But there's nothing you can do, since the other person's actions AREN'T IN YOUR control. What's in your control ARE YOUR RESPONSES--including pre-emptive ones.

2. She may propose that the post be advertised in the newspaper as the normal procedure of most vacancies, just to chalk me with stiff competition

ANS: Think of different counters--in case she comes up with this great idea. One way could be to highlight the large time factor such a step could entail--in the Selection Process. Another way to counter is to use the saying: A known devil is better than an unknown angel--'devil' meaning YOU, in this context.

3. What can i consider before moving over?

ANS: Not sure what you mean by this query--pl elaborate.

4. Should I go ahead and apply if he confirms he was serious?

ANS: Your focus SHOULD NOT be on his saying: 'I am serious'. Try to get out from him as to WHAT LENGTH/EXTENT would he be willing to go, in case the worst-case-scenario [as you see it] unfolds. If he says I will take it to the other Directors to get you into my Company, then you can go all-out to make the move.

This is important, since you haven't mentioned the Designation of your boss--the higher she is in the hierarchy, the more support the Director will have to gather & also given the fact that there's nothing YOU can do to counter her in the high-level meetings [for the simple reason that you won't be there, while the Director could be present].

5. Should i make my arrangements quietly or should i come out in the open of my desire to move away from her?

ANS: First do your home-work properly & clearly--which is to ensure that the end-result goes in your favor--before making your move. You definitely will need to move this openly, since you have make the formal application for the transfer, which is bound to be known to all in due course of time. But wrap-up the loose-ends BEFORE you do move in the open.

Also, pl remember another thing while you make your move in the open--DO NOT--REPEAT DO NOT--project this to be as a result of your differences [right or wrong] with your boss. Sometimes, this could lead to your loosing the good-will of other well-intentioned higher-ups too--who could help you in the long-run. Let the reason be just a professional decision for your career growth. Sometimes, it helps to leave some things 'unsaid'.

While the main reason for this step IS your present emotional situation vis-a-vis your boss, at the EoD, pl remember that it's your career goals that ought to be your long-term focus--so don't mix up both till the very end, in general. That could be counter-productive sometimes.

Hope these inputs help you handle the situation.

All the Best.

Rgds,

TS

Dear TS

Thank you very much for your response, its quite eye opening. Just to clarify a bit on the unclear situations. My boss is the HR Director (She), the other Director (He) is not aware of what is going on in our department. They are mere workmates and nothing more, my boss always want to exercise control over him and he is always tough and she advises us to exercise caution when ever the other director approaches the department, she generally enjoys power. Therefore i believe they are nt in good working order despite them sitting together in the Executive meetings.

3. What can i consider before moving over?

ANS: Not sure what you mean by this query--pl elaborate

Here my qn was lets say he confirms he is serious, he wants me in his Company, would it give a good picture to leave for the same salary n benefits to a small subsidiary, without people in the main company raising qns on her management style?

Another issue coming out in the open on my intension to transfer without involving an equal voice (someone who sits in the exec meetings) will be a straight No. She will quickly choke the whole process and kill all the prospects, by the way she is naturally like that, if she does not approve it, she kills.

The other Director is requesting that I apply, bt the big question is how do i draft the letter without exposing the push factors, coz where i will be going its a small subsidiary wc want to start its own HR, therefore there is nothing much there, i will have to put down the HR Structures from scratch.

If possible may u please include powerful and conservative ideas which i can incoporate in my application letter, to avoid hinderance to my move.

I appreciate once again your words of wisdom.

Regards

SC

Dear B.Saikumar
Thank you very much for your response. If inform her in advance that i intend to move, the results will be disastorous, she will call the other Director and choke the whole process, by the so called policies, which are always hidden. Some of them, even us the HR guys we do not even know they are there.
In my organisation every offence is dismissable, hence she may look for faults around to dismiss me. She magnifies offences and the displinary system here is more punnitive than corrective. Therefore i may end up a victim.
My boss (HR Director) and the other Director they sit in the same Exec Meeting bt i believe they are not in good working order, hence why he wants to break away and have his own HR dept
Regards
SC

Hello schigango,

Here are the suggestions for your fresh queries.

1] lets say he confirms he is serious, he wants me in his Company, would it give a good picture to leave for the same salary n benefits to a small subsidiary, without people in the main company raising qns on her management style?

ANS: Leaving for the same salary+benefits is upto you. But pl note that it's NOT UNCOMMON for many people to change from well-established companies to Start-ups, since many find such jobs/roles give a lot of opportunities to LEARN & GROW--career-wise. It all depends on what YOUR focus in career is. But at the same time I suggest you get some clear commitment reg the Salary hike [or some sort of an incentive, if not a hike] at some clear time-frame [3/6 months]--I wouldn't buy it if the Director uses general wordings like 'we will take care of you--don't worry', etc. But, ideally, get whatever best hike you can get--you can indirectly/subtly convey that it would be a big risk for you--of opting for his company than any other outside the Group.

Reg people's comments about your boss's working style, I think I already covered that aspect--pl see my lines: 'DO NOT--REPEAT DO NOT--project this to be as a result of your differences [right or wrong] with your boss'. When you don't give anyone a chance to comment, there wouldn't be any comment--right?

2] ........issue coming out in the open on my intension to transfer without involving an equal voice (someone who sits in the exec meetings) will be a straight No. She will quickly choke the whole process and kill all the prospects, by the way she is naturally like that, if she does not approve it, she kills.

ANS: Ideally, I would suggest the Director take it up in the Exec meetings asking for your services--temporarily [a few months maybe] to begin with. Once you have one foot inside, then handling the permanent transfer would be easier & simpler. I have seen it happen--but a lot depends on how smart the director is vis-a-vis your boss.

If this isn't possible, then you may need to search for other jobs outside the Group. If the Director is a smart guy, then he can use this aspect to get you in--during the Exec meetings. If he can't or doesn't want to handle it, then frankly, you may have to rethink if he is the right person as a new boss. If he doesn't want to stick his neck out, but wants YOU TO DO IT, then all I can say is this: in all possibility, he wants to use you, rather than being a win-win association, where both benefit. This is what I meant when I mentioned earlier:'Try to get out from him as to WHAT LENGTH/EXTENT would he be willing to go, in case the worst-case-scenario [as you see it] unfolds'.

All the Best.

Rgds,

TS

Hie TS
I cherish your advice, they are truly words of wisdom. The Director has not yet responded to the email i sent him requesting his seriousness on the Post in his company. Should i call him and ask, make an appointment to see him or wait until we bump into each other. I do not want to show him that i am desperate to move, though i am. Any ideas on how i can do my follow up without jeopadising my current position and the new prospects.
Thank you once again for your response
SC

Hello schigango,

Suggest DON'T put such things in writing--at this point of time.

Maybe you can ask for an appointment & talk to him F2F--will give you a chance to study his body-language while you get the inputs you want from him [about his seriousness]. Since you are also into HR, you know the importance of such inputs--and how different can they be in some contexts from the spoken & written words. What you need from him right now is NOT his words--but HIS INTENT, which would obviously get reflected in his later actions.

If meeting @ office can be risky, maybe you can talk to him over phone @ HIS convenience--may not be equal to a F2F, but better than mails.

Pl note that I am not casting any aspirations on his intent or interest in you--at this point of time. But at the same time, I think you ought to have a clear-head & open-mind on the various possibilities--until clarity comes-in.

Also, there could be many valid reasons why he didn't reply--frankly if I were him, I wouldn't.

All the Best.

Rgds,

TS

TS
Thank you very much words can not express how i appreciate your advice. I have booked an appointment with the Director, I will see him next week. I will keep you posted on the developments.
Thank you a million times.
Regards
SC

This discussion thread is closed. If you want to continue this discussion or have a follow up question, please post it on the network.
Add the url of this thread if you want to cite this discussion.






About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service



All rights reserved @ 2020 Cite.Co™