Industrial Relations
Sr. Manager-hr &ir
Practicing Lawyer
[email protected]
+3 Others

Cite.Co is a repository of information and resources created by industry seniors and experts sharing their real world insights. Join Network
I am working in a Construction Company. Company has already allotted the ESI number.
We have got the contract in some other companies like Power Project etc. , HR person of the principal employer are asking for Workmen Compensation Policy for our Staff and Labour's working over there.
Can you tell me, if we have the ESI number and our staff is covered under ESI Scheme, it is necessary to take WC Policy.

From India, Madras
Dear Sandeep
Normally ESI will be covered areawise and not nationwide. Whereas the WC Policy can be obtained for entire nation or even for worldwide workers/staff. As your company's registered office covered under Shops and Commercial Establishment Act, the company HR might have obtained ESI Registration for those employees working with less than Rs.15000/- pm. In some places, the ESI Exempted areas are also available. For the employees working with more than Rs.15000/- per month and the workers working in construction sites must be covered with the WC Policy.
In view of the above you must get the WC Policy for all the employees who are drawing more than Rs.15000/-pm and the workers engaged in construction sites.

From India, Kumbakonam
Yes , Mr Bhasker rightly said if your employees covered under ESIC no need of WC policy Bcs. WC act not applicable on u. Rgds
From India, Velluru
Hi Sandeep As per WC act,Wc will not be exist where ESI is applicable. AS per the above said things,take WC for above 15000 gross employees. Hari
From India, Hyderabad
Above two advises are correct.
If an employee drawing wages less than Rs.15,000/- per month, he shall be covered under ESI Scheme. ESI Scheme is also nationwide scheme but some difficulties are there which are to be implemented.
But what about employees drawing more than Rs.15,000/- per month. For those employees not covered under ESI Scheme, they must cover under Employee's Compensation Act ("Workmen" amended as Employee).
Tirupathi Raju/Advocate
Advisor-labour Laws

From India, Hyderabad
in addition to above to 2 advises
Please note that where the ESI is applicable, WC dos't applicable. At a time multiple special legislations implementation is not possible as per law.
Drawing wages more than Rs.15000/- employees out of ESI, but not ESI Coverage.
Hence you have made your own arrangement's for compensation ( it may be equal to WC Act or above/below as per your Co. policy/rules.
in my opinion group personal accident policy (GPA) is preferable for employees/workers benefits and mediclaim for their medical treatment
Kaleswara Rao
HR professional

From India, Guntur
Sub: ESI VS W.C.Act
Both are two separate acts. If ESI Act is applicable, it take care of employees covered under the Act regarding their health, sickness benefit,employment injury treatment etc., and in case of any untoward incidence(Death/loss of limb), compensation payments.
Regarding Uncovered employees( temporary employees/ employed in outstation works where ESI not
applicable,who are not covered), it is the bounden duty of the employer to cover them by taking W.C.Policy. Otherwise, management is held responsible for all consequences/compensation. To avoid all unnecessary complications/unrest and in the interest of cordial employee relations, it is better to have W.C.Policy.

From India, Hyderabad
Check your contract agreement clause and take action accordingly.
1. If clause says to have EC Policy, you need to have to go with client's demand and no option left with you
2. If no such clause, you may take up matter with client right person
3. Advisable to have an Umbrella Policy to cover risk. It is in the interest of your company as well as your client

From India, Jamshedpur
how to apply workmen compensation policy. I mean , what it is. Can Seniors please brief out. Regards, Smitha
From India, Thana
If a company given the sub contract to his contractor for 1 or 2 month work period and the total worker under the sub contractor is 4 to 5 workers then can we take the workmen compensation policy instead of ESIC.
From India, Gurgaon
This discussion thread is closed. If you want to continue this discussion or have a follow up question, please post it on the network.
Add the url of this thread if you want to cite this discussion.

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2020 Cite.Co™