Refer to your query, recent amendments / changes have occurred in Labour Laws as follows.
1. FACTORIES ACT -1948 - Lot of changes related to Hazardous operations, appointment of safety officer, Health,Safety, welfare provisions etc., is under proposed to change in the Draft Notification.
2.INDUSTRIAL DISPUTES ACT - 1947 : A workman can directly approach to the Labour court, Tribunal in the case of Dismissal, Discharge, Termination from the services with out knowledge of conciliation authorities.
3. PF ACT - 1952 : EDLI benefit limit can be extended from Rs.1,00,000 to Rs.1,30,000/-.
4. ESI ACT - 1948 : 1.Coverage of employees wage ceiling extended from Rs.10,000/- to Rs.15,000/-.2. Conveyance Allowance excluded from the part of wages. 3. Employer has shown /maintain the record up to a period of 5 years for inspection. More than 5 years record need not shown for inspection. Private Educational Institutions and also Hospitals, Dispensaries are also covered under ESI.
5. Workmen Compensation Act : 1. Casual Labour has also covered. 2. The compensation payable under Death is Minimum is 1,20,000/- Maximum is 4.3.Lacs, permanent disablement Minimum Compensation is Rs.1,40,000/- Maximum is Rs.5.2 Lacs.3. Computation of wages for compensation to be extended from Rs.4,000 to Rs.8,000/-. As per new amendment the act to be known as Employees compensation Act.
6. Payment of Gratuity Act - 1971 : 1. contract labour has also eligible for Gratutity, if they are completed eligibility criteria u/s 4 i.e. 5 years continuous service. 2. Compulsory insurance is provided by the employer to the employees under PG Act.Maximum amount payable under Gratuity is Rs.10,00,000/-
7.Payment of Bonus Act -1965 : 1. Wage ceiling limit can be extended from Rs.3,500 to Rs.10,000/- per month u/s 2 (1) and also computation of wages for bonus extended from Rs.2,500 to Rs.3,500/- per month. Minimum Bonus is Rs.3,500/- and Maximum Bonus is Rs.8,400/- payable to the employees under the provisions of said act.
8. Minimum Wages Act - 1948 :1. Salaries/Wages disbursed to employees through Bank.
9.Contract Labour (R & A) Act - 1971 : If the contractor does not fulfilled statutory obligations of PF, ESI etc., the labour works under the contractor to be deemed as employees of the Principle Employer.
Pl feel free to ask if any queries related to the above topic.
V R RAO PULIPAKA
10th December 2011 From India, Bangalore