Accidents Prevention Techniques and case study:
1. ACCIDENTS are uncontrollable event with potential of causing damage to men, material or environment. Most logical method of prevention is, to control the activities around us rather than the activities controlling us. In carrying out an activity, all concerned have to see that activity is accomplished safely.
To achieve the target of safety, components of each activity need to be thoroughly analyzed. Such components are such that, one can not eliminate. In such cases, alternative components shall be checked, which reduce potential hazards.
2. Any accident has got widespread effects in an organization. But it is also true that any accident can become milestone in safety, to prevent another accident in future. This is possible only if, the accident is properly investigated in detail and all facts are collected and furnished honestly. Exercise does not complete here. Causes (which led to accident) and finding should be put before the people along with necessary steps (for prevention of accident in future). Real fault investigation does not ask who is responsible
Many organizations do not show their safety records or accident reports and investigation reports. Among the employees also report or information is discussed internally, but not published in a systematic way.
3. After effects of accidents among the work force cannot be over load. Generally it happens that, after major accident, confidence of employees (working in that section/area) gets shaken. Damaged property can be easily replaced by ordering, re-installing and put again in to operating condition. But actions required to inspire the confidence in the employees need to be planned carefully.
For this matter, discussion of correct and safe ways to work and the points which can lead to accidents need to discuss. Where additional precautions (like adding some hardware or imparting the training to employees) are required, management should prepare a time bound schedule and implement it. Steps taken by management reflect its honest intention to enhance the safety of employees.
4. There are two layers steps in safety. First one, steps and precautions to be taken by actual working people (we also call front line people) while carrying out job or operating plant. These steps are normally mentioned in the plant operating manual or equipment manuals. Other steps start right from design stage of plant or building. Some loose ends during material selection and/or installation stages can leave long lasting efforts on safety. For such point the people working in that area may not be aware.
This is the reason , why safe design, quality job done during erection and safe operating procedures laid down from the initial stage lay good foundation for safety of the organization. Next step is to set up the culture among the employee to make them safety conscious.
5. One NGO had classified electrical accidents in to three broad groups, as under:
42% - accidents due to
Abuse of equipment
Poor quality tools
31% - accidents are due to
Inadequate design and assembly
Less distance or clearance of moving part
Too much critical design
27% - accidents are to
Improper or unsafe workplace
Inadequate and confusing instructions
Overconfidence and lack of concentration.
Not following safety procedure due to shortcut.
6. Major factors causing accidents:
There many factors working behind accidents. Some of them are psychological, whereas some are technical. Major factors are as under:
a. Poor knowledge of equipments
b. Overconfidence of assumption
c. Taking a chance or risk
d. Hurry to stop the job / complete the job
e. Monkey tricks
f. Working without concentration
g. Poor quality of tools
h. Tool not suitable for particular job
j. Not following safety procedure
k. Temporary repairs
l. Short cuts.
Principles of Loss Prevention:
The loss prevention is science & art. It is defined as a application of engineering techniques in order to reduce the occurrence of accident that results in to personal injury, damage to property, production, equipment building etc. the loss prevention task is requires immediate & long run approach, training and education. The task must be performed before an accident & injury occurs.
There are few basic fundamental steps for accident prevention.
Selection of remedy
Application of remedy
It is planned procedure, which represents the mechanism by means of which the intrest remain alive, safety program is directed & controlled.
2. Fact finding:
It is way by which surveys, inspections, observations, safety audits, review of records, inquiry, judgment & investigation, knowledge of probable or potential hazards is derived.
The accident can be prevented by analysis of the facts & conclusions are made from assembled data. The classification, identification & analysis of hazard to be done.
4. Selection of remedy:
When the analysis part is over than what is the proximate or main cause that needs to be corrected, it then suggests the selection of remedy for the named hazards.
5. Application of remedy:
This is the final step in accident prevention. The remedial action to be implemented.