dipil
711

As receivedů

This is a shocking episode that happened on 13th May 2011 in Pune. This may be a good, useful lesson in safety for all of us to remember.

Incident:-
A housewife died due to burns sustained in the kitchen. Her husband too hospitalized for injury/burn while trying to rescue his wife.

How it happened:-
The gas stove was on, cooking under process. The lady observed some cockroaches near the sink and grabbed a can of insect repellent and sprayed it..Near the gas stove, which was on/burning. There was an explosion and in no time the poor woman was covered in flames, sustained 65% burns. Her husband rushed in, tried to douse the flames and his clothes too caught fire. The husband is still in hospital, in the burns ward, still unaware that his wife has succumbed, dead on arrival.

Let us understand:-
I've been trying to gather some information on the insect repellents such as "Hit", "Mortein" etc. Are they inflammable? I guess they are, and the nano-particles spread extremely rapidly.

Did the poor lady realise the hazard involved? Apparently not!

Spread the word around.... who knows you may save more than a life...

From India
PROFESSIONALS AND BUSINESSES PARTICIPATING IN DISCUSSION
Boss2966
Industrial Relations
Dipil
Safety Consultant
Raghuvaran Chakkaravarthy
Environmental, Health And Safety
Hussain Zulfikar
Hris Implementation, Payroll, Recruitment,
+1 Other

Hussain Zulfikar
27

Hi Dipil

Please note that, there is a caution warning provided on every compressed gas product (Insect killers, deodarants, perfumes sprays etc) This warning is clearly printed on the spray can with hazardous picture signs. Consumers in general should be aware and take precaution not to use compressed gas product near flames, not even candles.

This products shall be handled with care, keep out of reach of children, dispose them properly in garbage bins, do not try to destroy them by hammering or damaging the body.

Many a times people are careless in handling products, they dont read the manual or instruction before using, this "chalta-hai" attitude causes this kind of mishaps. we see that, many a times gas cylinders are placed in risky corners and surrounded by many flammable materials. Gas pipes are not changed regularly, no attention to maintenance of stoves etc, inspite of gas mechanics advising of such repairs, they are ignored.

Thanks for bringing this incidents to reader's attention, awareness is the cure.

Thannks

From Kuwait, Salmiya
boss2966
1165

Dear Mr. Dipil Kumar.
This is really informative and we must be cautious while handling the insecticides. I have some more doubt about the body spray and room sprays. Hope those also might be highly inflammable.
Let us be cautious and advise all our friends and family members regarding this.
Thanks for creating awareness Mr. Dipil Kumar

From India, Kumbakonam
shailesh.mann09
37

Dear Dipil,
thanks for sharing such an informative & learning accident.
See the Insecticides are made up of Flammable materials like different solvents.
I am working in Pesticide company. It is a part of Insecticides. Others are Fungicide & Herbicide which we are producing. You can learn more from Insecticides Act.
Eg. HIT. Seeing the instruction on it, it contains Imiprothrin & cypermethrin which are flammable & toxic and other ingreadients added.
One special instruction : Do not expose to sunlight & temperature exceeding 50 deg C.
The lady used nearby running stove had higher temperature than 100 deg. C. So it definitely catches the fire.
So Before use it is advisable to read manual.
REgards,
Shailesh

From India, Pune
raghuvaran chakkaravarthy
495

Dear dipil,
Thanks for sharing Mr.dipil. I was shared the same with our pest control department hope they will conduct trainings in future.
Thanks for your valuable inputs Mr.Bhaskar, Mr.Shailesh & M/sAmritha

From United States, Fpo

If You Are Knowledgeable About Any Fact, Resource or Experience Related to This Topic and Want to Be Part of Such Discussions in Future - Please Register and Log In to Cite Community.







About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2023 CiteHR«

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server