Labour Laws & Ir
Hr & Back End Operations
General Manager Hr
+1 Other

My brother works at TCS as a network engineer. He is made to work long hours which sometimes go beyond 24 hrs as his supervisor/manager just want the work to be completed. The work never gets completed as they keep on burdening him with more and more work. They are also not recruiting more staff to distribute the work evenly.

somedays he is required to stay back at office. He has not been given any weekly offs for past 3 months. This has totally affected his health. He has no choice but to continue working.

He was made permanent 2 months back and was taken under TCS payroll. However, he has not been paid salary for past 2 months as his bosses are denying him the meet with HR to complete some formalities.

I would like to know is there any law that prohibits long workhours or is there any specification in law which says that a human being can be allowed to work only for certain hours a day. What can be done if an organization denies off to an employee.

I am really bothered about my brother.....Please let me know what can be done.

From India, Mumbai
Ask him to send a detailed mail to HR with a copy to Director (HR) explaining the status and request for personal discussion to sort out this problem. Still if he does not get the desired result, he has to decide on continuation and he might be affected otherwise also.

From India, Madras
There are enough labour laws to protect your brother but your brother in the first place should learn the art of saying "NO". The Managers will obviously burden a donkey that doesnt protest. Voice out your pain and Learn to do some "ACTING". Take Comp-off next day the day you work overnight. Ask for extra emoluments for working over hours (not necessary overtime but a well paid food voucher, travel etc). And more importantly collect all documents and data as proof of your inhuman working conditions. Normally we have complains in TCS of not having enough work or creativity but your brother's case seems to be different....There are 1000 solutions to any problem provided you want to implement them................rgrds
From India, Mumbai
For working hours/weekly off day/non payment of wages etc.you are required to go through applicable State Shops & Establishment Act. For proper relief your brother can also approach the office of the area Shops Inspector in this behalf.
Welcome Skylark Associates

From India, Delhi
Thanks to all for replying.
His bosses do not give him the choice to say "NO". He just seems to be trapped there.
Even if he leaves the job now it will take him long time to overcome the humiliations inflicted upon him by his superiors.
Anyways. thanks again to all for the suggestions and the kind replies.

From India, Mumbai
This discussion thread is closed. If you want to continue this discussion or have a follow up question, please post it on the network.
Add the url of this thread if you want to cite this discussion.

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2021 Cite.Co™