1) Always ready to be a target of people's remarks. Anything which can and does go wrong....blame it on HR. If Management says HR is Responsible and Employees say HR is Responsible, then HR is Responsible never mind even if you dont know whats happening around.
2) Always be ready to be held responsible for Low Increments, slow promotions and appraisal effects irrespective of you have done it or the reporting supervisor has done it
3) If Attrition is high, its your responsibility weather you were instrumental or not in selection of the candidate. Line Managers and supervisors are excused in this.
4) Bear with Top Management for preferential treatment for a select few employees who know how to use their unprofessional skills and assets to the maximum and yet you have to keep quiet
5) Be ready to sacrifice yourself as a scapegoat to the management whenever the need arises in the game of top management politics
6) You have to do Payroll, Attendance, Leaves, Trainings, Appraisals, Policies, Procedures, Recruitment & Selection, Welfare activities, Organizational & Employee Development, joining & exit formalities, statutory compliances etc etc.....but at the end of the day be prepared to face the question "What Does HR really do??" from someone who knows what you really do
7) If you do anything good, it won't be remembered for long. But if you do anything wrong, it won't be forgotten
and the list goes on and on and on and on.....................................rgrds
30th May 2011 From India, Mumbai