Process Industry Consultant / Soft Skill
Sr.executive - Hr
Insolvency N Gst Professional
Hr Research Associate
Spoken English is no Rocket Science if you start treating it as your mother tongue.
A child learns the mother tongue at first before learning/knowing national or business language;so as you. What was the mantra at that time when u learnt your mother tongue.
Easy to guesss, " Environment".
You need to create a complete english predominant environment around you. Books , newspapers, tv channels, videos, telephone chat, sms, your meal iteneary... friends, infact everything.
You might be silent of shyness initially, but tahts normal, as when you were learning your mother tongue also, you were passive participant. But you improved, and hence you will again.
Be firm in observing the new environment around you, it will help you to learn the practical application of English with correct usage. Once comfortable, consult theory on grammar and other documents for knowledge correction. and then again rehearse..
You will start living it one day!!!
Trust yourself and go ahead!!
All the best.
hope this helps though this is just an amateur practice.
I agree to what all are saying, go through the attachments which Vaidya has posted. They are a good start
Some simple tips to improve English Communicaiton
1) Starting thinking in English : I know it sounds stupid but turst me this works. You talk to your self in your mother tongue, so when you are asked to speak in English you are short of words as you are not able to match your mother tongue words with English words. Hence you fail there.
2) Watch English news channels. They are a good source of decent english communication. Channels like Times Now, Headlines Today, CNN IBN etc.
3) Read more of english news paper not the gossip columns but good articles. do a lotta reading.
4) Practice Practice Practice, what you read & hear start speaking in English. See if you can get a mentor to correct you when you go wrong. Else google for English grammar learn to construct sentences. That will also help you.
If you've decided to learn no one & nothing can stop you.
Lemme / us know if you need further help.
I am completely agree with every body..according to me the basic problem with you is lack of vocabulary.and tenses ...
i would suggest u to read dictionary regularly and simples words that oftenly used and make sentences u should start using those word daily..
Thanks to all being involved in a such important discussion and sharing the knowledge.
Speak in English is not tough but to be correct in grammatical terms is little tough.
Frankly speaking my English is not good in terms of grammars but I am comfortably in speaking what's the use.
1) speak in english - just speak, there is a slight amount of pain (u dont know all words) and fear (some will comment). Some people might laugh, let them laugh. dont care.
2) dont care about the grammer - throw the grammar book away. if you read enough books in english- your grammar will improve by itself - i have quite good english writing skills, but have never studied grammar for more than 25 years now
3) think in english - this was once said by pooja bhatt and its true - people generally think in hindi and tell in english - thats why they dont learn how to talk correctly
4) give yourself time of at least three months
5) love the language - forget the national politics that hindi is our mother tongue and english is not, it does not help. english has included a number of words of hindi, its but natural that we include english. love it like the most loved person you ever loved.
you will never ever loose the language