Ir & Hr
31st March 2011 From India, Bangalore
There are five differences that can be debated between personnel management and human resources management which are:
1. Nature of relations: Personnel management is not share vision and mission between BOM and staff but human resource management is must be share
2. Leadership and management role: personnel management is centralised where the top of management has full the authority and making decision but HRM is share with the top of management and middle managers
3. Contract of employment: In personnel management, employees contract of employment is clearly written and employees must observe strictly the agreed employment contract but In personnel management, employees contract of employment is clearly written and employees must observe strictly the agreed employment contract.
4. Pay policies and job designs: personnel management is merely base on skills and knowledge but HRM encourage continuous job performance and improvement (Kaizen) and pay for functional duties
5. Communication and negotiation: Personnel management restricts communication between line managers, employees and top management but HRM gives employees direct communication with the management.
1st April 2011 From Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City
The same question was asked by someone in the same forum earlier. Probably CiteHR can trace such questions when it is raised again, and link topic and display those conversations, it would be better. Probably some kind of "programming link" may be necessary.
Anyway, I will explain to you the difference between PM and HRM once again.
Personnel Management can be compared with "Maintenance Department" and HRM can be compared with "Production Department".
Maintenance departement normally does the routine breakdown maintenance, keeping the machine in working condition, overhauling, taking up preventing maintenance, zero breakdown maitenance and such activities. It is the regular jobs that they normally carry out. Similarly, Personnel Department's job is to do regular payroll processing, submitting of monthly or periodical returns, renewal of licenses, daily attendance monitoring, house keeping, etc.
Production Department is the department which converts the raw material into finished products, right? the flow chart would be
Raw Materials ===> process ====> output. The raw materials are put into one side of operations, operations like center punching, lathing, thread cutting, surface grinding, internal grinding, broching, drilling, assembling, cracks checking, quality checking and then sent as finished product to be stacked in the store room, to be used for the purpose.
Similarly, Human Resource Department's raw material is an employee himself. HRD Department, hires employee, gives him the basic orientation program, imparting him the knowledge about the co, etc, teaches him the technical and other aspects of the job, administers his performance review, revises his salary, awards / rewards him, trains and retrains him, does career and succession planning and finally develops him as a ptential person who can take up the roles and higher responsibilities that company may desire him to do.
Personnel department is more of maintenance nature whereas HRD is of productive or developing nature. That is why HRD Department is known as Human Resource DEVELOPMENT Department. (Please also note that Personnel Department is part of HRD department)
Hope it clarifies your doubt.
2nd April 2011 From India, Madras
Administration is more of staffing, organizing and coordinating. It is the role of support services and also routine in nature. Most of the jobs are attended to, as and when it comes up. These activities may or may not be planned ones. It is about handling jobs that arise on day-to-day basis.
Management is more to do with planning and controlling. May be financial controlling, diversification, New project / Product development, etc. Therefore, activities like Budgeting, Planning, Strategy making, Marketing, competitor’s analysis, etc. will form part of its core activities. Management is wider than administration. Management also to do with decision making, Problem solving, business building, etc.
Administration is running the show, whereas Management is controlling the show.
3rd May 2011 From India, Madras
While hrd is how to maintain organigation for long term employee relation like,policy making,training, orientation ,employee relation csr etc
23rd August 2012 From India, Bhopal