I would advise u to first fulfill the basic needs of the employees. Like whether there is clean toilets, canteen/pantry, whether they get tea/coffeee on time, whether they are paid salary/incentive on time or not, what's the problem they have been facing, ask for suggestions, spend time with them rather than sitting in your cabin. When you will get questions from employees, you'll answer those questions yourself. Every co. has a different working culture and different employees. Doesn't mean that my employees or your employees are different from each other.
Usually HR Policy Manual consists of all HR Policies. You know even the best company having HR practices lack something or else in their HR Manual. The best way to write an HR policy is to start from the day and write all your problems or happenings.
Let starts from the day, office is opened, it must have working hours, many people come late in office for which you need a policy on late comers, and fix a punishment etc. for the same. All people do not come in the office, some will be on leaves and some will be onb tours. You must have a tour policy but hierarchy wise containing daily DA, Food allowance, travelling class, format for reimbursement of all these expenses. People ask for advance while going on tours, you should also have a money advance policy (like before how many days/hours you can take advance). This will help you in handling people who come at last moment and doesn't give the balance amount when they come back from the tour on time.
Re: leave policy, you can have CL, EL, ML or any other policy but please make sure you follow all the legal rules of leaves. You can also have policies like:
1.Training policy (people are nominated but when they dont attend trg, a fine should be imposed), issuance of certificates etc.
2. Compensation policy containing pay structure, incentive policy, conveyance, mobile exp, bonus, gratuity etc. and day of reimbursement.
3. Recruitment Policy (Manpower requirement form, sources, conducting interviews etc., also referral schemes)
4. Selection Policy: Upon selection,whether you issue offer/or appointment letter.
5. Induction: No. of days of induction.
6. Promotion Policy
7. Increment policy
8. Tours Policy
9. Advertisement Policy
10. Employee Grievance Policy
11. Uniform policy
12. I Card policy
13. Loan Policy
14. Certificate policy (Sal certificate/address proof)
15. Probation or Non-probation policy
16. Employee Recreation Policy
17. List of holidays
18. Policy on Working hours/weekly off etc.
19. Office Vehicle Usage policy
20. Overtime payment policy
21. Birthday celebration policy
22. Employee Reward and Recognition policy
23. Board of Directors
24. Organisation Structure
25. Use of laptop/PC policy
27. Employees Personal File system
28. Making Employees Codes and Cadre (grades)
As you have just started HR department from the scratch. First of all concentrate on these:
Employee Joining Formalities:
1. There must be a HRD form filled by Employee and supported by education, experience, medical and character certificates, with 4 photographs (for Visiting card, I card, Personal file and and one extra for future use). Give him/her an unique employee no. like ihave my company as Employee Code: WS01010703099 which symbolises <WS means Workshop, it's a factory of ours><01 is for location of the city say for delhi 01 amd for mumbai 02 etc.><01 for hierarchy level in the organisation><07 month of joining><03 year of joining><099 is the actual employee number>< you can also prefix department wise like 01 for HR, 02 for IT, 03 for Accounts etc.etc.>
Verify all the documents that this employee has submitted upon joiningthe company.
2. Instead of going straight away to PMS or other hi-fi things in HRE, first of all concentrate on infrastructure issues, is there sufficient seats in Canteen, whether employees wear uniforms, (if not you can mark half day etc.), whether there is sufficient stationary for employees. check all their basic requirements. the idea whether you have fulfilled all employees basic needs
I hope, this will be useful for you,
From India, Delhi