No Tags Found!


Hi all At present as per our policy we have notice period of 30 days now i want to change it to 60 to 90 days for all employees, please help me that what is a procedure i need to follow ? Thanks Raj
From India
Industrial Relations
Strategic Business Management Includes Revenue
Gm (hr)
Finance, Hr, Sectarial Practices, Law And
Dr. Trinath Dash
Ir And Labour Laws, Training & Devpt
Human Resources
+5 Others


Dear Raj,
Serving of notice for any number of days should be on either side. You may do the following:
(1) Revise your existing Policy and fix either 60 or 90, get it approved from the management/authorized person and publish it through notice board or through intranet or through your existing communication channel. (2) Prepare a Notice addressed to all existing employees to inform that the management has decided to revise the notice period from 30 days to 60/90 days (on either side) with immediate effect for all existing employees on rolls, as of date. Accordingly, the notice period of 30 days mentioned in the appointment letter of respective employees stands revised to 60/90 days with immediate effect, which please note. (3) Paste the Notice on all Notice Boards. (4) Make copies and put it in respective Personal Folders for future reference.

From India, Jaipur

dear it is internal policy of the company but must intimate to all employee...choose which is best way..
From India, Velluru

Dear Raj,
This is indeed an internal policy of the Organization, however if your Company is certified against any of the Systems such as the ISO or CMMi, then you will have to get the required approval from the Authorized Personnel or Policy Decision makers in the Organization. Then the Standard Operating Procedures and Policies need to be revised based on the approval from the management.
Once this is completed then the most important thing is to intimate all the employees of the changes in the Notice Period. This can either be done by posting in the Notice Boards, or if you have some online system then the same can be done through the Online System. You can also circulate Mails, please make sure that you retain a copy of the communication sent to the employees.
For further clarifications please write to me on
Mohammed Azmath

From India, Tiruchchirappalli

As advised by Mr. Gopal Make the copies of the revised Notice period and obtain the signature from the employees stating that I have read and understood the contents and I agree to serve the same.
With warm regards
S. Bhaskar

From India, Kumbakonam

in my view you should first get your certified standing orders modified because this clause is given in certified standing orders.After that you make a small contract refering the earlier clause of appointment letter and it should be sigened by both parties by employer and employees.If someone does not agree to that clause than you can not force him to sign.
ofcourse it is internal policy but as a employer you are bound by certified standing orders/appointment contract.

From India, Delhi

Why at all you want to do this? Your organization has to be on the equally liable.

You cannot change the terms of service on the existing employees unilaterally. If you do so it will be change of their service conditions (to which company has already contracted with the employee) it will be a violation of the standing order and law in general. You have to have the consent of all such employees before doing so. Do not take innocent employees to ransom by unilateral pronouncements. It is bad HRM practice. Such a wild move can even bounce back to the disadvantage of the organization.

Mere putting the same on the notice board or bringing into the notice of the employees will not meet the end of law. If you have Union, then it is more appropriate that you get the consent of the union first.

Only thereafter, you can modify the Standing Orders and the get the same vetted from the law enforcement agencies, before they put to effectual practice.

Otherwise, it will be an Unfair Trade Practice and put your organization into trouble later or sooner. Moreover, it may hit the branding of the organization too, being unfavorable service conditions.

There are other ways to retain the employees rather then to coerce them to serve longer notice period or part with the substantial money. Remember that an unwilling employee is a liability on the company. Once an employees makes a mind to quit, he will do so, despite your embargo.

From India, Chandigarh
sunil Sadar

You may put a notice on notice board informing about your intentions to chan ge the notice period. Call for objections from the employee (within 7 days), Prepare yourselves to face objections (i,e, either to substaintiate or to over rule the objections). This process is like Notice of Change as we do in ID Act (section 9A), Therafter depdning on the response from employee, you may decide to implement the same or not. If you receive tremedous opposition, pl. drop the idea for the existing employee. However, you may do the same for all future employee ( by mentioning this clause in their appointment letter)
From India, Nagpur
Vasant Nair

Yes, this is the proper and correct procedure for implementing any proposed change in the service conditions. Vasant Nair
From India, Mumbai
K. Balakrishnan.

In my opinion, as per the best HR practice is, if you have a practice of annual increment letter to the employees you can add this clause of change of existing notice period to 60/90 days. All employees will accept this and you will get the signed acknowledgement as well. Based on this; if you have a service condition manual or HR manual you can amend and subsequently issue the amended copies to the employees.
Wish you all a healthy year 2011
Balakrishnan K

From India, Ahmadabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2023 CiteHR

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.