It is nice to know that you are keen to improve and enhance the quality of your in house magaize. The challenge obviously is to ensure that the contents are relevant and preferably original and contributed by the staff members. It is also important the layout and design are standardized. I presume it will be a monthly newsletter.
As you are clear on the objectives of the newsletter the contents could broadly include the following
- Short editorial
- Company related news pertaining to new business generated, successful execution of large orders or orders of key customers, new activities being started, new initiatives proposed for employees etc.
- List of new employees joining with a brief bio-sketch as also good byes to those who are leaving or have retired
- you can incorporate an activity in each issue eg a quiz, a crossword, a competition etc.
- Feedback / letters to editor
- some achievements of employees or their family members can be highlighted
- excerpts of motivational articles ( be careful about copyrights)
- have a social awareness topic be it on energy saving or water conservation or duties of a responsible citizen etc.
I would urge you to go through some of the more reputed house magazines even if it is not in the electronic format (Fireside - of Thermax is one of the best house magazines) to get a flavor of the numerous possibilities.
You must be careful to ensure that people don't cut paste articles/ give you hackneyed email forwards or articles that would be frowned upon by any censor board.
Do changes based on current feedback and solicit feedback after making changes. It is essential that you appoint employees from various departments to source/ give you inputs and give them due credit too. What is most important is that the newsletter should come out regularly and on time.
I would invite you to visit the following Inspirational and Motivational Blogs to get an idea of possible material suitable for your magazine.
www.actspot.wordpress.com - Daily Blog
www.poweract.blogspot.com - Weekly Blog
A copy of the house magazine would be much appreciated too. My email details are available on the website mentioned below.
28th October 2010 From India, Mumbai
Thanks for your suggestions. Actually I am already giving these topics a touch in every issue. I always think that these magazines should have some dose of change/new thing in every issue like presentation style, design etc.
29th October 2010 From India, Chandigarh