Recruitment Consultant
Talent Acquisition Manager
Consultant Trainer
Deepesh Khandelwal
Finance & Accounts / Audit.
Accounts & Finance
+8 Others

PRIME SPONSOR - FACTOHR - Customised Payroll, GPS Enabled Attendance, Travel, Performance Management, HRMS. Explore Features
Dear All,
Please help me with this query:
Our company offers LIC and Mediclaim Policy to employees after they complete 1 year of service.
The amount of premium is paid by the company and the policy is obtained in the name of respective employee.
Since the policy is in the name of the employee, can the employee avail tax exemption against it?
Can we show the amount of premium paid as a part in employee's CTC?
Please help.
Cite.Co is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors sharing their experience and insights.
Join Us and help by adding your inputs. Contributions From Other Members Follow Below...
Dear Bhavna,
If the employer make the payment then benifit is to be available by employer in (FP)Fresh Policy. After that if employer not pay second year renewal in that case employee pay the renewal and claim in tax only.
If it is part of CTC, the premium amount paid will be excluded in the gross earnings while calculating tax.
Hi The employer only will get tax benefits since they are paying the premiums. The payment of premium paid by an employer agaisnt a group insurance policy of an employee cannot be clubbed with CTC
To avail the tax benefit of LIC investment there is basic condition that person should invest from his taxable income. If an employer showing LIC Premium as part of Salary (CTC) of employee, then employee can avail the benefit.
In this case employer should take care of showing LIC Premium as part of salary only and not as Welfare Expenses. (Fortunately there is no question of FBT here onwards).
Now I would like give practile recommendation that in your case why then ER is paying LIC premium, if they dont want to show as Welfare Expenses. Instead increase the Salary (CTC) of EE to that extent of LIC Premium. Then no further doubts will arise. And if you want to see from ER point of view (that Proposal is ER only) then it must be Welfare Expenses. Because ER can pay premium for EE only for the period of his employment with ER.
No as you are not making any payment directly nor it is being deducted from your salary.
However a word of caution! Make an assesment of your insurance needs and then see whether your company's initiatives on insurance is sufficient. Chances are it will be short of your requirements.

Possible Under Employer-Employee scheme, both can avail benefits;
Employee can avail tax benefits under Sec-80C and the employer, one who pays the premium, can avail tax exemptions under BUSINESS Expenses.
Refere Employer-Employee Plans at
Dear Vinove
Yes, company can claim the premium paid by them either in employer welfare scheme or claim in any other expenditure and claim under section 37 (1) of Income tax.
Where the premium will be considered as a receipt in hands of employee and they can claim the same under section 80 CC for LIC policy and section 80 D for medical insurance policy.
I have one more policy where employee can get tab benefits with immediately and employee can received pension at their retirement
If any of members from this group want more in detail they can free to call me on 98210 14796.
As per Income Tax Act money paid by the individual from his own funds only will be considered as deduction under section 80c. As the payment is paid by the organisation individual can not claim.
R S Reddy
Senior Branch Manager
Hi All,
Take the case of TDS deducted and remitted to the govt. a/c on behalf of an employee by his employer. The amount so deducted was included in his CTC. similarly, he deducts and pays the LIC premium on behalf of an employee basically to ensure that the employees are making some savings. This can be surely claimed u/s 80ccc. the amount would also included in the employee's taxable income too. May be this has no impact but the idea is to make employees save.
PRIME SPONSOR - TALENTEDGE "Interactive Anywhere Learning". Executive courses from top reputed institutes like IIM, XLRI, MICA. View Courses

Add Reply Start A New Discussion

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2019 Cite.Co™