Interview Panel Discussion & Generalist
Hr-recruitment, Employee Relations
Sr. Hr Executive
Recruitments And Policies
You can keep a notepad, pen and a small folder in welcome kit.
First of all make the new joiner very comfortable, then you can give them the necessary forms to fill up.
In the induction program you can tell them about company history and small introduction of all departments, you can explain them all the HR policies.
If your company has many departments you can keep induction program of more than one day and if your organization is small you can complete the induction in one day. Take them around the company and introduce them to all managers.
The idea of quiz is really good, you can tell them in advance that after the induction program you will be taking their test, this way they will be more attentive towards the program. You can take one question from each topic, for ex. How many departments are there in the company, how many personal leaves are there in one year, etc.
You can prepare a checklist for the induction program to avoid confusion and not missing any point. Checklist can be somewhat like following
Filling up all forms
Information Company History
Explanation of HR policies
Information of all departments
If you need any more information feel free to ask.
4th January 2010 From India, Vadodara
4th January 2010 From India, Vadodara
Alka has given you quite a bit to move ahead. The quiz is really a wonderful idea.
Certain issues that come to my mind are:
1. The methodology of induction. Make it interesting with activities and a lot of participation.
2. The environment during induction should permit free exchange of ideas/ comments/ queries and not just a one way flow of information.
3. How will the inductor handle a 'Why?' question?
Please remember that a good induction will help retain employees while a poor one sows seeds of doubts. For the HR, an induction is an opportunity to build a great rapport with the new inductees.
Please feel free to revert for any clarification/ any more information.
Wish you make a fantastic induction programme.
5th January 2010 From India, New Delhi
1. Inductions are generally on Saturdays as the weekend mood sets in and induction remains on the lighter note.
2. If its a campus hire: we try to incorporate the induction ASAP.
3. If the hiring is skewed and lateral hires, the we induct them on last saturday of the month.
For eg: If someone joins on Feb 1, we will immediately induct him/her with welcome kit and send an organizatinal PPT (that will help him/her to know about the org, environment etc) and on Feb 27 (last sat of the month) we conduct the classroom inducation with all the hires who join us in Feb.
The frequency might vary depending upon the quantum of hire. And again it can be industry specific.
5th January 2010 From India, Gurgaon
Can anybody tell me what are the practices are followed in IT industry?
I am working in a small IT company in Pune. Attrition rate is high. In our company joining date of new hiring is any working day. So in this case, what should I do and how?
6th January 2010 From India, Pune
I would say an induction program is the first and the most important phase in his kickstart, so undoubtedly this should be the most intresting and impressive program.
And above all you need to make them feel comfortable.
What i would suggest (infact couple of things that i have done)
- try getting the names of the joinees and have them printed on a sheet and have them on a table name holder, this makes them feel important, now this could work if you have 4-5 people per table or also if you have this setup in any other way.
-have a welcome drink for everyone( now that depends on the budget again, but im sure this doesn't cost much)
- have mouth freshners kept in a bowl
- you could play soft music and welcome tune
- have their induction kits already set on their seats or table this could include ( a pen, a note pad, a pamplet or a magazine of the company)
- try making a ppt of the comapany of the comapny and let it play till all assemble, this will keep the crowd going.
- start with an ice breaker- this breaks all the silence and gets them all up - FEW IDEAS
- you could start off with a name, pro background, intrests, etc
- or as said before try getting the names and have chits made and pass them down , have pairs made and break the ice ( this again depends on how the crowd is, you would want to do this if you have senior mgmt joing in)
This is what i have as of now, leme know if you need more info should pass down.
6th January 2010 From India, Hyderabad
Its very impressive that you people advised and provided new dimension for induction program and HR people may understand the facilitation about induction.
My input is
Clear presentation about Mission, vission statement or policy etc.
On boarding candidates must understand the company procedure, compensation benefit and process.
Compensation Benefits: LTA, Leave encashment, Mediclaim policy etc.
Brief description about the Hr & quality policies.
Facilitate the project department Head and felicitate or orientation about the project and department.
Quiz is quit interesting.
General Joining administration formalities
6th January 2010 From India, Madras