I work as a trainer in a BPO. Its a 200 people organization and I handle the training dept. I am responsible for conducting all the trainings smoothly. These trainings are conducted either by me or with the help of process trainers from each process. I have only one direct reportee. I showed interest in developing the training dept., in response to which my boss has asked me to propose a plan on 3 things with proper reasoning:
- Training budget for training dept - How to propose a budget?
- Different Trainings to be conducted to groom the trainers including me- None of the trainers have had any formal training or attended workshops to understand how a training is conducted, evaluated etc. Tools, methodologies to improve effectiveness and reduce cost
- Additional resources required within training dept- How should I come to a conclusion on the no. of trainers I need in my team with a justification
Can somebody help?
From India, Bangalore
AvikaDear Shikha, We are a corporate consulting firm delaing in HR, Legal and Management consultancy and can help you in the matter if you wish to outsource the assignment.
From India, New Delhi
If you are still figuring out how to put together a plan , try the following steps :-
1. Get to understand the business goal as a first step.
2. Check out , what metrics are available in the company to measure the business objectives?
3. Find out which departments contribute maximum to the measures of success - Typeically in a a call center, the metrics are very well defined
4. For the departments to function well, what were the problematic parameters in this years performance.
5. What knowledge and skill gaps existed for that performance?
6. Can training be a solution ?
When you start answering these questions - you would find that Training Needs would emerge - which could be a. within your offering or b. outside your offering .
If you need to provide about 100 hours per employee training , 2 trainers would be needed on a fulltime basis (this is about 6 training days per trainer a month). You can also manage with 1 trainer for 12 training days a month - bit stretched.
For managing training function - you need a specific competency . You can find a role desribed in IBSTPI website.
Putting it altogether in a plan would mean defining :-
1. Training quantum - depends on business goal,performance metrics and budgets
2. Training days - delivery options -inhouse vs outsourced
3.. Content management and structure
4. Measure systems - for training evaluation and business impcat
5. Staffing norms - based on the above
6. Employee costs - Admn overheads
7. Licensee fee - for IP
8. Technology - for E-Learning / LMS deployment for L&D analytics investment
All the best . If you need more help , let me know
From India, Pune