Admin. department generally has the same broad functions but this is how you should go ahead:
1. Understand/ask for the job description in HR and Admin.. Jobs in Admn. are mostly office management involving common sense. Remember there is no MBA/degree/diploma worth its name for specialising in this function.
2. List down the Admin. jobs
3. Enquire from staff with longer tenure in the Company, what are the Admin. practices in vogue in your Company. Follow them but improve on them.
4. Basically, you have to maintain the office and its decorum well in Admin function. Therefore, it requires you/your staff to identify new vendors/maintain existing vendors, prepare/renew their AMCs/contracts, ensure preventive breakdown of office services, front office/reception, office upkeep and, periodic evaluation of services vis-a-vis costs.
5. Take office/Admin files, if any, in your possession and read the documents therein.
In short, Admin. involves :
1. Office security
2. Housekeeping services
3. Office Canteen/Cafeteria services
4. Front Office/Reception
5. Building/Office maintenance (Civil (masonary)/Carpentry/Electrical
6. Horticulture (if there are gardens/plants, etc)
7. Office dak and despatch
8. Fire fighting equipment/drills
9. Office printing and stationery
12.Office design/layout planning/architecture/construction
13.Office telephones/faxes/telecommunication (IPLC, broadband,
16.Office toiletries/consumables/cleaning material
18.Ticket/hotel booking for customers/clients/visitors/employees
19. Office attire/uniform
20. Class 4 staff handling (peons, gardeners, drivers, pantry boys,
21. Pest control
23. Employee First Aid
24. Guest relations/hospitality management
25. Admin. vendor development/evaluation, purchases, auction of office
26.Leasing/buying/selling office/real estate
27. Constructing office building(s)
28. Buying/maintaining EPABX, Computers (if not IT deptt), Faxes, Photocopiers/
29.Office alarm/locking system - installation/maintenance
30. Office lift/escalator, common areas, carpet/super areas, etc.
I may have missed out some but generally Admin may involve all or some of the above. Admin work responsibilities would depends on which industry you are in and the size/topological spread of your organization.
Hope this helps.
26th December 2006 From India, New Delhi