According to most studies, people's number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. - Jerry Seinfeld
If you have the fear of public speaking, you are not alone. You must first recognize what fear is. Fear is the anticipation of pain. Is your fear real or imagined?
Here are some great insights into Overcoming Fear of Public Speaking.
Steps to Overcome Fear of Public Speaking -
1. Fears - The fear of being judged, making a mistake, not measuring up, getting hurt either mentally or physically can get in the way of a good performance (speech, seminar, sales presentation, etc). Remember that people in the audience really want you to succeed. Nobody is standing there hoping you'll be boring or bad. If you are coming from an authentic place, and you cover the material with clarity, you've won 3/4 of your inner battle with fear.
2. Learn how to enroll and engage your audience - If you haven't yet taken a professional development course on public speaking, consider finding a public speaking training course appropriate for your needs. Learning the art of public speaking can enhance your results in a boardroom, in a sales presentation, and even accelerate your climb up the corporate ladder. It is a must-skill for any executive and/or business owner.
3. Practice - Find business organizations, networks and clubs in your area (such as Toastmasters) that can afford you the opportunity to practice. Remember to choose topics that you are already an expert on. Speaking on a topic that you are not familiar with will increase your stress, and impede on your performance.
4. Use recording software - Record everything on your PC/laptop. Review it to see where you can improve. Have speaking pros attend your live presentation to give you feedback. Allow yourself the opportunity to learn more every time you go out.
5. Remember, even the top professionals learn something new every single time they go out!
14th September 2009 From India, Mumbai
We conduct PUBLIC SPEAKING PROGRAMMES. We are the only ones in India imparting EFFECTIVE PUBLIC SPEAKING TRAINING.
We can be contacted at Institute Of Public Speaking, 209 Parmar Chambers, Vaswani Chowk, Pune 411001 Ph 26124943, 26123857, 9822967667
17th September 2009 From India, Pune