Cholesterol is a type of fat made in the liver and found in animal foods.
CHOLESTEROL IS NEEDED FOR IMPORTANT BODY FUNCTIONS. Such as...
* Building cell walls
* Protecting nerves
* Making hormones.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF CHOLESTEROL.
* THE GOOD. (HDL or High Density Lipid)
* THE BAD and the UGLY!! (LDL or Low Density Lipid.)
A higher level of HDL is needed to carry LDL from the BLOOD back to the
LIVER to be ELIMINATED from the body.
If there is a higher level of LDL cholesterol in the BLOOD this may:
* Cause high blood pressure!
* Raise your risk of heart attack!
* Raise your risk of stroke!
* Cause the kidneys to fail!
Cholesterol is broken down into LDL which is needed by the body cells. Once
the cells are satisfied the unused LDL remains to become what is known as
The main danger of high blood cholesterol is that fatty plaques may form
which will decrease the diameter of blood vessels. This leads to a
restriction of the flow of blood and oxygen to the tissues of the body.
* If an artery supplying blood to the HEART becomes blocked you may have a
* If an artery supplying blood to the BRAIN becomes blocked you may have a
* If an artery supplying blood to the kidney becomes blocked you may suffer
WHAT CAUSES HIGH BLOOD CHOLESTEROL?
The main causes are:
* Eating too much high saturated fat. i.e. fat found in butter and dairy
products, cakes biscuits and take away foods.
* Being overweight..
* Not exercising.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO LOWER YOUR CHOLESTEROL?
YOU CAN ......eat more:
* Fruits and vegetables.
* Oily fish (tuna, mackeral and herring).
* Skinless chicken.
* Fibre rich foods, e.g. oats and wholemeal bread.
YOU CAN.... eat less
* Fried take away fast foods.
* High fat dairy products and eggs.
* Saturated fats and oils.
* Biscuits, cakes and pastries.
YOU CAN... USE
* Unsaturated margarine instead of butter.
* Unsaturated oils (olive oil) instead of lard.
* Low fat cooking methods: steaming, grilling and microwaving.
* Make exercise a part of your day. (Walking is good).
* Not smoke
* Drink more water.
THE LINK BETWEEN BLOOD CHOLESTEROL LEVELS AND HEART DISEASE IS CLEAR.
STUDIES HAVE SHOWN THAT IF AN AVERAGE MAN CAN REDUCE HIS BLOOD CHOLESTEROL
BY ONLY 10% HE CAN REDUCE HIS RISK OF HEART ATTACK BY UP TO 50%!!
Start NOW to make the changes because.....
YOUR HEALTH AND WELL BEING ARE IMPORTANT
TO YOU AND TO US...!! From India, Madras
thanks and I do hope each and every one of us can do just that one bit --- walk when u talk --- ha ha .. just do a bit of walking and avoid fried stuff all will be well .. Wishing sound health to all .
Col Ronnie Chhibber
From India, Delhi
Hello Nithya Ma'm , I am highly impressed by your this knowledge of Cholesterol , now I should walk at least 5 Km. every week , which will help me to reduce my body cholesterol ;thx for sharing about it with other HR professionals .
May I look forward for other information like this !.. thanq .
From India, Bhubaneswar
Thanks for sharing dhanraj, its really a very good tips for verybody in these days when we basically belive to consume fast foods, making our life compilcated easily
From India, Delhi
If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views using the reply box below. For articles and copyrighted material please only cite the original source link. Each contribution will make this page a resource useful for everyone.