If Employee Is Terminated What Gratuity He Is Eligible For ? - CiteHR
Cite.Co is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors sharing their experience and insights.
Join Us and help by adding your inputs. Contributions From Other Members Follow Below...
Dear Member, Welcome to CiteHR. You are entitled to claim gratuity only for 18 years of service rendered by you in accordance with the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972. Regards, R N KHOLA
Dear Sir, i have completed 2 years 8 months in a company,but due to the project closure , companyy has given me the de mobalization letter informing me that there is no suitable vacany available in other project. for me also they are denying to release the graduatity for the 2.8 years .can you please help me in getting information regading the my graduaty recieving rights/or elligliblity for the .
In order to be entitled for gratuity, you should complete 5 years of service. Since you have only 2.8 years of service with the company, you are not entitled to get it. Of course, if you were employed not in supervisory or managerial role, you should be eligible to retrenchment compensation as per Industrial Disputes Act. Retrenchment compensation is equal to 15 days pay for every completed year of service and any fraction of year over 6 months.

Dear Seniors,
Please help me with your valuable suggestions on the following query:
One of our permanent worker is terminated for a theft case which was caught red handed and took the steal item back by the management . He was immediately show-caused with suspension. In his reply to the show-caused notice he admitted his allegation leveled on him. There was nothing financially loss to the organisation by his crime. Now, can management stopped his gratuity or deduct part of his gratuity amount as punishment after termination. Please advise.

Since there is no loss caused to the organisation you can not quantify or decide the amount of loss. But even if you have not incurred a monetary loss you can impose a 'fine' as punishment. However, such fines will not come under permissible deduction or the amount which can be forfeited as per section 4(6)(b) of the Payment of Gratuity Act. You can impose a fine as punishment and recover it by deducting from the salary payable but not from the gratuity. The amount of fine should be as per Payment of Wages Act. Please refer section 8 of the Payment of Wages Act for details in which it is stated that fine should not exceed an amount equal to 3% of the wages due.

Thank you very much for your reply and suggestion. It has cleared my doubt of gratuity deduction. Thanks again.
one of our employee completed his 9 year service and he want to get his f & f along with gratuity
after received all this he again demand to continue his job as a new employees in that case he is eligible for all this.

Is this a purposeful arrangement between the employee and the employer? If not, do not allow him to rejoin, let him resign take the gratuity etc and get relieved. Such kinds of employees will be dangerous employees.
Hello everyone,
I'm a contract employee in one organisation and I have completed 3 years 7 months 1 day and due to project technical issue in client location got terminated and again project allocated with gap of 10days and hired as new employee for the same organisation and same project than i completed 1 year 1 month 7 days in the same organisation, so now it would be break in service for 10days without my fault with the organisation.
Excluding my 10days break in service total employment with same organisation is 4 years 8 months 8days, Can you guys please suggest me
I'll be eligible for the gratuity or not.

The Act by recognizing the right of an employee to claim gratuity, leaves no discretion with an employer to make payment of gratuity dues to an employee at his own sweet will, which has to be mandatory paid, provided the Act is applicable on the concerned employer. Any failure to make payment of gratuity dues, is punishable with imprisonment for not less than six (6) month and which may further be extended to two (2) years.
Continuous Service
According to Section 4 (1) of the Act, gratuity is payable to an employee on the termination of his employment after he has rendered continuous service for not less than five (5) years on his superannuation or on his retirement or resignation or on his death or disablement due to accident or disease. Section 2-A (1) of Act defines the term 'continuous service'. The courts in India have time and again observed that the definition of 'continuous service' has to be interpreted liberally. Further, the said provision clearly indicates that cessation of work not due to any fault of the employee is not to be treated as creating any interruptions in course of continuous service. Section 2-A (2) of the Act, further stipulates that an employee shall deemed to be in continuous service for a period of one (1) year if during that period of one year he has actually worked under the employer for a period of 190 days (if the establishment works for less than six days in a week and 240 days
Section 4 (6) of the Act permits an employer to forfeit gratuity payable to an employee in the certain circumstances. As per the said provision:
✓ The gratuity of an employee, whose services have been terminated for any act, willful omission or negligence causing any damage or loss to, or destruction of, property belonging to the employer' shall be forfeited to the extent of the damage or loss so caused;
✓ The gratuity payable to an employee may be wholly or partially forfeited (i) if the services of such employee have been terminated for his riotous or disorderly conduct or any other act of violence on his part, or (ii) if the services of such employee have been terminated for any act which constitutes an offence involving moral turpitude, provided that such offence is committed by him in the course of his employment.

Please Login To Add Reply

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2020 Cite.Co™