Suggested Skip-level Interview Questions
Setting the Stage
Explain the reason for the meeting, how long it will last and the general flow that the conversation is likely to take (so the employee will know what to expect).
1. How long have you been with the organization?
2. How long have you been in your current job?
3. What is your educational background?
4. What is your work background?
5. Where have you worked previously, and what have you done in the positions you have held?
Individuals and Their Jobs
1. What specifically is involved in doing your job as a ___ (the job specialty)?
2. What happens when problems come up, and who do you turn to for support?
3. What do you like about your job?
4. What aspects of your job would you prefer not to have to do? Why?
5. If you were to hire someone for a job like yours, what kind of person would you hire?
6. How do you find out how well you are doing?
7. How do you know you are not performing well?
8. What do you think it takes to get promoted in your work unit?
9. What are some of the informal operating rules of your work unit that, if violated, will put you in hot water with your supervisor?
10. If you had a complaint or "gripe" about something connected with your job, whose attention would you bring it to first?
11. Where do you see yourself going from your present job?
Organization and Management
1. Suppose your work unit had to stop doing some of the activities it now does. What should/should not be changed?
2. How much tension and friction is there between your department and other departments of the organization?
3. How well does your supervisor and those above him/her understand the technical problems you face in doing your work?
4. How does the planning, organizing and scheduling of the work in your department get accomplished?
5. How free do you feel about talking over job problems with your supervisor?
6. Imagine that your organization is a person. Describe that person to me?
7. What are some of the helpful/unhelpful practices that go on in your work unit that you would like to share with me?
8. I have asked you many questions. Do you have any questions you would like to ask me?
27th March 2008 From India, Bangalore