I did a presentation on this topic and there are 9 major issues that are related to manpower training. They are:
1) Aligning training with business strategy: Aligning training activities with business
strategy has been a goal of most training units for a long time. This is because
organisations have begun to realize that training is a tool not only for getting better
job performance, but also for creating organisation-wide adaptability.
2) Changing demographics: Most demographic shifts affect the business nowadays.
Principle among these demographic shifts are:
• Increased ethnic and cultural diversity
• Differing generational values
• Significant fluctuations in generational birth rates
• Aging of the population (baby boomers)
3) Knowledge workers: It is predicted that there will be a shortage of labour in areas
requiring advanced or specialized knowledge and skill. Companies are now trying to
find ways to maintain the competency levels of existing employees and provide
appropriate competencies to new employees.
4) Training as a continuous improvement: Effective training is a continuous
performance improvement process. Training does not start and stop with each
program. The training function in organisations continuously searches for
performance improvement opportunities.
5) Quality: High quality products and services are necessary to stay in business in
today’s competitive markets and thus have high priority for most businesses. Once a
company takes a decision to ensure quality measures it therefore is prepared to
engage in a substantial amount of training.
6) Legal issues: Equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, sexual harassment,
and related legislation have placed legal requirements on businesses that affect how
training is managed. Some of the important legal issues are:
• Required training
• Liability for injury or illness
• Copyrighted materials
7) Job analysis as an indicator: An effective job analysis should be done in order the
find the deficiency in the employee’s knowledge and skill so that these gaps are
filled. Therefore job descriptions and job specifications will help in indicating the
strengths and weaknesses.
8) Trainer training: In order for training programs to be more efficient, it is important
that the trainers themselves should have adequate and specialized type of training.
9) Technology: The methods and techniques used by the trainers should provide an
active participation of the trainees in the learning process, so that they have grasp and assimilation of the knowledge and information gained through various methods and techniques.
3rd November 2010 From India, Madras
A. A commitment of change is required for effective skill development.
B. Emotional appraisals should be discouraged.
C. Labeling of individuals should also be discouraged.
3rd November 2010 From India, Mumbai