neroyoung

Hi,

I am Research and Development Head at our company which is kinda startup with approx 30-35 people. I manage my team which consist of 8 employees. From beginning my boss gave me authority to search new candidates, take interviews, hire them and decide their salary. He also asked me to manage their leaves and calculate the salary deductions and all. In case if I need to fire someone, I have that authority as well. We do have a girl working as HR and accountant and she is very supportive, however I have to do the most of part as my boss expects me to handle it.

Now, there is this guy who is working in my team from past 2 years, his 1st year track record was nice but this year he dropped his quality. He has been on many leaves (27.5 days in 9 months), out of which 4 times he took extensions and hardly understands need of company. This time he resigned from work and while doing so he took 4.5 days leaves from 2 Jan - 6 Jan. It was allowed till 4th Jan only here. He again asked for leave on 13 Jan which was followed by weekends so he can go to Goa for fun. I declined it as it was overlapping with another teammates leave. Still he went to HR to get an approval and I had to accept it as HR asked me to let him go for the day, making him commit that he will be back by Monday, 16 Jan.

Now the problem is that his friend called me on Sunday from his mobile stating that the guy isn't feeling well and has to hospitalize, they will provide a medical certificate as well (which you know can be obtained fake). I was in no condition to say anything. I told him I am not gonna say anything, will discuss after he joins. It's been 3 days in row after that he hasn't showed up and still on leave without informing afterward. As per as my experience is concern, I am sure he is wandering with his friends having fun. I saw him active on social networks.

What is the proper action to be taken against such kind of behavior during his resignation time? Whose responsibility is it for real to deal with leaves and such situations?

From India, Pune
umakanthan53

The dearth of suitable candidates for the R&D Wing and the high attrition rate might have triggered your boss to delgate the entire responsibility of man-management to you. A team comprising of just 8 employees is a well-manageable one as you would have plenty of chances for close inter-personal relations within the zone of employment. I think that apart from such a situation, your innate quality of being very considerate even at the slightest influence by others might have compelled you to be a " Mr.Nice " to all in the organization. Discipline is an uncompromisable aspect in employment. So, don't accept his resignation and in stead call the employee to report for duty forthwith. Initiate disciplinary action against him for over stayal of authorised leave. If he turns up with a medical certificate, refer him to a medical board. If no response from him, terminate him for abandonment of services after following the due procedure. If the powers of hiring and firing are formally delegated to you, you yourself can act as the disciplinary authority and do the above things yourself.
From India, Salem
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.