Aswathi Sajeevan
Dear Seniors, Situation - The employee has 23 leave balance in his account; he wants to take sick leave for 1 month (till he completes his leave balance ). But the Business head is approving leave only for 10 days, because of the pending work which he needs to complete. And asking me to take the remaining days under LOP.
Can I go for LOP? The employee says that he has enough leave balance and LOP.
Please guide me to handle this situation.
Thank you in advance!

From India, Bengaluru
jeevarathnam

Hi If the employee has 23 leaves then he has right to utilise those leaves. If there is any pending work how will the LOP will be benefited to the company by completing the pending work?
From India, Bangalore
devibalahrd

Dear Aswathi,
This is purely my personal opinion. According to me Leave is not a right. It is a privilege given by the company / industry to the employees as a welfare measure.
Also there are companies which will allow the employees only if the HODs approves the leave. As a HR, we should go by the Management decision only. If the HOD is not willing to permit, we also cannot consider.
So I feel you should go by your Business Head recommendation. Ofcourse, he never denied leave. So you can talk to the employee and make him to understand the importance of his presence and his work.
This is where HR plays as a bridge between the management & employee.
Correct me if I am wrong Seniors.
Thanks
Devibala

From India, Madras
chadha.priti

As an HR even I support your say. As many leaves an employee might have, it can be availed only after having an approval of your reporting authority. Regards Priti Chadha
From India, Calcutta
dlghr89

Hi all,
We need to understand a bit further in addition to all the above.
1) What type of leave the employee has in accrual? is it casual/ sick or earned( privilege leave) /
2) What is the leave policy of the company- Most companies indicate ( at least per standing order )that - the refusal of leave and the reason for that has to be communicated in writing) - Hence the employee has to get a written refusal/ reasons for that.
3) Is the employee really sick or just wants to consume leave because they lapse if not availed.
If the leaves in balance are privilege leaves, then there is no harm in availing as many granted and let the balance carry forward.
When employee has leave balance, is really sick and has made advance application the manager can not insist on the employee to go under loss of pay.
Hence ascertain the full picture and revert, so that crisp suggestion can be given.
Kind regards
Dayanand L Guddin

From Singapore, Singapore
saswatabanerjee

The action of your manager is wrong.
If business work pressure is high and does not permit the manager to grant the leave, then he can deny it, or grant the number of days allowed. However, the manager can not ask the employee to take LWP when there is leave credit to his account.
However, there is a discrepancy in the post. How can the employee take sick leave to cover the period of pending leave. I assume those are PL /EL. So why does he want SL. Further, if the person is sick and produces a medical certificate, you can not deny him leave

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.