No Tags Found!

salmancalicut@gmail.com
Hi,
I just wanted to know, is there any maximum limit for tax exemption in HRA. Can we get tax exemption for above one lakh HRA. I heard that one lakh is the maximum amount we get tax exemption through HRA.
Please clarify.

From India, Bengaluru
pon1965

As per sec 24, actual rent paid or HRA received whichever is lower, is tax exempted. No limit.
From India, Lucknow
abbasiti

Dear Salman, House Rent in excess of 1/10th of salary subject to ceiling equivalent to HRA. Abbas.P.S ITI Ltd., PALAKKAD
From India, Bangalore
multibang

Hello Mr. Salman, Exemption on HRA is subject to certain conditions stipulated in the Income Tax Act under Section 10(13A) of the Act.
Exemption on HRA can be claimed by an employee who stays in a rented house. The rented premises must not be owned by him/her or by his/her spouse. In case an employee is staying in an own house, the entire amount of HRA received is subject to tax.
Exemption of HRA will be available on the least of the following three options:
1.Actual HRA received from the employer or
2.Actual house rent paid minus 10% of the employee’s basic salary or
3.50% of basic salary, if living in a metro or 40% of basic salary, if living in a non-metro
The minimum of above is allowed as income tax exemption on House Rent Allowance.

From India, Bangalore
multibang

Hello Mr. Salman, Exemption on HRA is subject to certain conditions stipulated in the Income Tax Act under Section 10(13A) of the Act.
Exemption on HRA can be claimed by an employee who stays in a rented house. The rented premises must not be owned by him/her or by his/her spouse. In case an employee is staying in an own house, the entire amount of HRA received is subject to tax.
Exemption of HRA will be available on the least of the following three options:
1.Actual HRA received from the employer or
2.Actual house rent paid minus 10% of the employee’s basic salary or
3.50% of basic salary, if living in a metro or 40% of basic salary, if living in a non-metro
The minimum of above is allowed as income tax exemption on House Rent Allowance.

From India, Bangalore
salmancalicut@gmail.com
Hi All,
Thanks for the above information shared by different folks. I am aware of the criteria for tax exemption.
But my only doubt is the maximum limit of HRA. Someone shared this info" If HRA is more than 1 lakh, we get exemption for 1 lakh only and remaining amount is taxable".
I think there is no higher limit for tax exemption for HRA.
Please reconfirm the same.
Regards,
Salman

From India, Bengaluru
multibang

Hi! As per my knowledge, there is no such limit on HRA as mentioned by you. Normally, HRA is fixed by companies as a percentage of the basic pay of the employee and such percentage varies between 30% and 50% depending upon the position held, place of employment, etc.
The Income Tax Act does not provide any limitation as regards to payment of HRA is concerned and the Act prescribes only the limitation for tax exemption on HRA.

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.