No Tags Found!

M.Peer Mohamed Sardhar

A brief introduction to “5-S”:

The “5-S” practice is a well-recognised methodology used by the Japanese to improve the work environment. A well-recognised methodology to improve work environment, the concept is fast catching up in many western countries. It has now evolved into a formal technique, which the Japanese believe is useful not just for improving the physical environment, but also for improving Total Quality Management (TQM) processes as well. Many everyday problems could be solved through adoption of this practice. It is also seen that many companies have included a few aspects of the “5-S” in their routine processes without being aware of its existence as a formal technique. In fact, the “5-S” can be applied to activities in all walks of life.

What does “5-S” stand for?

The term “5-S” represents five words in Japanese namely, Seiri, Seiton, Seiso, Seiketsu and Shitsuke. The English equivalents for these are Structurise, Systemise, Sanitise, Standardise and Self-Discipline. In other words, these “5-S” terms mean Organisation, Neatness, Cleaning, Standardisation and Discipline.

Organisation (Seiri)

Organisation is about sorting items (like tools, parts and materials), which are essential for a job from those that are not. Efforts should be made to select only the vital few and place them at convenient locations. The essence of organisation is defined by:

Discard unwanted things

Organise the storage of parts, files and other items

Deal with the causes of defects, noise and leaks

Treat defects, leaks and breakages

Aim for the policy of “one is best” ---one-location file, one-stop service for customers etc.,

Neatness (Seiton)

Neatness determines the rate at which things can be located or placed. It eliminates the time wasted in locating and placing things in an organisation. In simple terms, it emphasises on:

Clearly designated names and places

Functional placement of parts, tools and materials

Quick (30-second) and easy retrieval of documents, parts and tools

Neat and easy-to-read notice boards (with special attention to removal of old and obsolete boards)

Filing standards and controls

Zoning and placement marks

Arrangement for first-in, first out

Cleaning (Seiso)

In any organisation, cleaning involves delegating individual areas of responsibility. Every individual should be thoroughly aware of his duties and responsibilities. In doing this, it is important that all assignments be absolutely clear and that there are no undefined, unallocated, or grey areas. This can be done by:

Assigning individual cleaning responsibilities

Adopting simple methods for cleaning and inspection

Regular cleaning activities

Cleaning even the less-noticed places

Standardisation (Seiketsu)

This emphasises strict and continual maintenance of organisation, cleanliness and neatness. It includes personal and environmental cleanliness. It also implies standardising the principles of “5-S” practice. By maintaining standardised conditions using visual management, employees are motivated to act fast in any circumstance. This necessitates:

Certification of inspections using labels, tags, etc.,

“Danger” warning marks and signs

Colour coding of files, pipes and containers

Responsibility labels

Preventing noise and vibrations

Directional markings on pipes and gangways

Discipline (Shitsuke)

Discipline involves instilling the ability of doing things as per the defined rules and regulations. This helps in building good habits like framing and following rules. Discipline, an integral part of industrial safety emphasises on:

Following safety rules

Wearing safety helmets, gloves, shoes while at work

Executing individual responsibilities

Good communication practices

Practicing dealing with emergencies

Checking and following “5-S” practices always

Many successful organisations found that by developing a high quality work environment and instilling discipline in the form of procedures and work instructions, the employees devoted more energy and time to achieve results. The ‘5-S practice’ has now become a highly appreciated technique in business, which not only helps to impress the customers but also to establish effective quality processes for good services and products.

From India, Coimbatore
vikas vasisht

Dear Peer sahab..,,
Hv u changed or still working in your last organisation...
Your contributions are realy appreciable. Can you update me a bit about the difference b/n the balanced scorecard & performance management report. if you have something regarding this, then please mail me at
Regards,
Vikas Vasisht

From India, New Delhi
abhaygirish

Dear Sir,
This is good information . I am working in pharma industry . Sir, can we implement six sigma in HR . Also my organization working on EMS. So other dept. ask for training on environmental issues like global warming, ozone depletion , waste reduction , energy conservation , water conservation , emmergency prepaedness etc. If u hv training material then pls send me for both six sigma & EMS.
Regds.
Girish

From India, Mumbai
rprashant
Dear sir,
I regularly go through your articles which are very useful for me.I will like to in which org. you are working ? Your guidance can be useful to me as I am looking for career change from R&D to HR .
REGARDS
PRASHANT

From India, Mumbai
nandishsheregar

Dear Girish,
what exactly you need. both six sigma and EMS are highly technical subjects. you will not be able to train others unless you have a grip on the subject matter.
ideally, you must look for proper trainers to do. however, i will provide few slides on EMS global issues for your knowledge, which is understood very easily.
you need more and specific, contact me.

From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: ppt ems_awareness_152.ppt (600.5 KB, 455 views)

M.Peer Mohamed Sardhar

Dear Friend,
Kindly click on the following link, it will give you some required information,
https://www.citehr.com/download-list...uery=Six+Sigma
Pls let me know was this information useful,,
If not let me try out more & give information,,,,
Regards
Mohamed Sardhar
91 93831 93832

From India, Coimbatore
abhaygirish

Dear nandishsheregar,
This is very good information . Thanks a lot for such good information . In last organization I hv worked with MR for ISO 9001:2000 . SO this organization also selected me as one of the coordinator for ISO 14001 . (they considered one positive point As I hv started my career in Technical field ( R&D ) ) So if you have sample NC for ems then pls send it to me because I hv to give training to " internal Auditors " If u hv any material then pls send it to me . I'll remain very thankful to u.
Regds
Girish

From India, Mumbai
nandishsheregar

Dear Girish,
the three important elements of ems are
1. understanding the legal requirements and complying to it. i had earlier posted a ppt file on that in this site.
2. from the processes, you identify the significant aspects through aspect - impact analysis.
3. setting objectives and target to address the significant aspect.
unless you pick up a team of internal auditors who are convsesant with the above, audit will not be effective.
i hope your company is already certfied for iso 9001. i advice you to use the same format for raising the non conformatives, with which they are familiar. the concept of the all such forms are there. you must adress the problem relating to clauses or procedures, root cause, corrective & preventive actions.
you mail me your current format. if you still want a format from me let me know, i will mail to you.
by the way, at what stage of ems you are in?
pl. feel free to ask me more
nandish

From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.