No Tags Found!

rohit8939
Hi, I work in the IT department for a US based MNC in India. I joined in August, 2014. It was only until few days ago, while discussing something else, the word "Shift Allowance" came up. We usually keep and are supposed to be mum about the salary, as it is. Never heard of this term here, I then discovered that everyone in my team receives that in their monthly salary, everyone but me.

Upon further check, It turned out to be a huge blunder by my team manager who approved my timesheets. It actually happened because my manager was supposed to tell me to change the Charge Code in the timesheet from the 2nd month onwards. Because 1st month was training in general shift and then from 2nd month it was actual work in the odd-hours shift eligible for allowance. He had been approving my timesheets with the incorrect charge code (for General Shift) for the last one year hence I never even saw that Header of "Shift Allowance" in my Salary slip.

Shift Allowance was never discussed in the Hr orientation or listed in the Offer letter either. And all the guys who joined after me were made aware to change the Charge code from 2nd month onwards, by him. It was a miss only in my case.

I raised the concern and he acknowledged the mistake and forwarded it to senior manager and all. The senior manager called me today and informed me that the payroll head "says" that they will only be able to pay me the accrued amount for this financial year - Apr, 15 to Aug, 15.

He said that the last year's (Sept, 14 - March, 15) can't be processed as company has filed last year's ITR and all and they can't make any changes at all.

This was really unexpected and sounded Incorrect to me. I am going to lose 6 months of Shift Allowance for a mistake which I didn't even make. So, is it really true that it can't be done ? Can it be not processed as "Arrears" or something ?? Have you ever come across an issue like this ?

Please advise. This would mean a lot to me.

Thanks a lot.

From India, Delhi
nathrao

The company is making excuses.
The matter is a clerical error and can be rectified.
People get payment of last financial year in next financial year due to various reasons.
company has to apply its mind to it and show the minor will to clear such errors,unless they are avoiding to make payment and reduce their expenses.

From India, Pune
ravind7@gmail.com

1. Your Manager has made a mistake and he should rectify the problem and find a solution for you. Talk to him.
2. If the company really wants to pay you back than they could repay you back as short paid or back pay and nothing to do with tax submission.
3. Always talk to your HR to get details of your entitlements and be aware for changes in your organisation particularly when involving income and deduction.

From Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur
tajsateesh

Hello Rohit,
Like other members pointed out, it surely is possible to pay what's due to you.
However, adopt an approach that's NOT like you pointing fingers @ your bosses.......DON'T let it shift to any ego issues.
Given that they are OK to correct the mistake from April, 2015, looks like there is no intent to skip the past payments. But the reason they gave....IT filings done....doesn't look logical. Quite possible they didn't apply their minds to the issue....from their point of view, it could be a minor issue.
Meet the senior Manager OR the Finance guys.....one way is to make the payment as a one-time payment this year OR as arrears for the past year.
Where there is a will, there's a way.
BTW, what's the amount involved?
All the Best.
Rgds,
TS

From India, Hyderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.