No Tags Found!

AkritiHR
Hi, I am looking for a policy for Bereavement leave for employees. I understand there is no law for this but I would like to know what are the various ideas we can come up with with regards to Bereavement leave, specially for an employee that loses his direct family member. Urgent advice required. Thanks.
From India, Pune
nathrao

Law does not cater for such leave.
Any employee who looses his direct family member needs sympathy,empathy and leave.
CL,EL ,Leave without pay can also be given in special cases.
Now one will have to define who are direct members of a family.
Employee may have parents who are not dependent on him.
What is the criteria of direct family member?

From India, Pune
umakanthan53

Well, this type of special leave with wages on such a specific contingency, in addition to existing leave provisions can be a gesture of goodwill,empathy and people concern. Like Mr.Rao said indirectly, it requires a lot of considerations. Why don't you elaborate your ideas in this matter, Akriti?
From India, Salem
sourav.rubi@gmail.com

The labour reforms are underway , present government has formulated quite a few progressive ways to encourage the entire work force. Workers / Employees must also understand their duties and as an HR it is our collective responsibility to percolate this down under. This idea of another "bereavement leave" is not a good idea at all.
From India, Bangalore
Delyte
Don't you think that we in India already have too many holidays and the leave in existence is sufficient to cover any exigency ? Adding Bereavement Leave will only adversely affect our efficiency.
From India, Mumbai
vini.wonders

some organizations have compassionate leave. just google about it and you can get to know more about it.
From India, Delhi
tajsateesh

Hello Akriti,

Like Umakanthan suggested, can you elaborate on the genesis of this in your organization....meaning why did this proposal come-up, how many types of leaves do you currently have, the organizational structure/strength, etc

In principle, this is a good concept from the HR angle. But like Nathrao mentioned, the long-term consequences also need to be thought of before formulating & implementing.

@ Delyte--

Guess you are mixing-up the Govt/PSU type of work culture with the PRESENT-DAY private sector work culture.

I am not sure of your count when you mentioned 'we in India already have too many holidays'--most Private sector Companies have only CLs & PL/ELs....with some also having sick/medical leaves. However the total Count per year is the same.

It all depends on 'how' it's projected by the Company to the employees & MORE IMPORTANTLY how the policies are implemented.

If you follow the news, many large Indian Companies--Godrej, etc--have now taken-off from MNCs & introduced Paternity Leaves. Until recently, this would have been unthinkable in the Indian context.....with the general mindset being 'what will the father do when it's the mother who's delivered the kid'.

Rgds,

TS

From India, Hyderabad
amodbobade

Hi,

Like maternity leave, this leave should not be considered in the EL. Many countries do provide this type of leave in their laws. Here is the sample entitlement policy (From another country's labour act than india):

----------------------------------------

Bereavement Leave Entitlement:

There are two separate entitlements to bereavement leave after six months’ employment:

1. On the death of an immediate family member, the Act provides for up to three days’ paid leave. This can be taken at any time and for any purpose genuinely relating to the death. “Immediate family members” are the employee’s spouse or partner, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, grandchild or the spouse’s parent. Where there is more than one bereavement, the employee is entitled to three days’ bereavement leave in respect of each death.

2. In the event of a death outside the immediate family that causes a person to suffer bereavement, up to one day’s paid leave may be taken if the employer accepts that the employee has suffered bereavement. In considering whether a bereavement has occurred, the employer should take into consideration:

- how close the association was between the employee and the other person

- whether the employee is responsible for any aspects of the ceremonies around the death

- whether the employee has any cultural responsibilities they need to fulfil in respect of the death

----------------------------------------

Best Regards,

Amod Bobade.

Deepak Kaushik

Hi Akriti,
Greetings!!!
I have started the bereavement policy in my HR manual.
I have given the two options.
1. If the death of the immediate family member e.g. spouse,child,parent,sibling,grandparent or grandchildren and employees has to covered a distance up to 200 kms.or less then he is entitled to get two days paid leaves.
2. If the distance he has to covered to reach that place which is more than 200 kms. then we have the provision for four days paid leaves.
Regards
Deepak Sharma

S B Pandey

I respect your feelings, however there is no such law. Here, I would like to add that if the person was dearer one you should help him by way of monetary benefit and due sympathy which I think will boost up morale of the employee and in turn you will also be benefited.
From India, Lucknow
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.